Chapter 36: Explanation

Arya's POV -

My question had all 3 men tensing, all their shoulders becoming stiff in place.

I already knew the answer but I wanted to hear the truth from them.

My eyes stayed on Rome, mostly wanting for him to explain.

He took in a shaky breath before he nodded ever so slightly, I barely even caught it.

"Yes," He whispered, "We are."

Hearing it from him blew my mind even more then hearing it from someone else.

Rome slowly grabbed my hand in his, running his thumb fondly over my knuckles.

I missed his touch so much despite the anxiety I was currently feeling.

"Before we explain baby, I want to know how much Ivan and Oliver told you."

"Okay," I croaked, but then my eyes shifted towards the jug of water on the table.

"Can you get me a glass of water first? My throat kind of hurts."

"On it." James said, pouring a glass and handing it to me. He gave me a small smile as he did so.

I took a few gulps from the cup, my throat clearing up a little.

Placing it down, my gaze stayed on Rome and I's connected hands as I spoke,

"They...said you were the don Rome, of the Italian mafia." I began, looking up at him for confirmation.

"Sì," He murmured, "I am."

I didn't have much of a response to that since I already knew it was true.

"They said all three of you were part of it, and this w-whole time," My voice cracked as a small sob escaped my mouth.

My desperate gaze looked up to Rome, "This whole time they had my parents and you didn't tell me." It wasn't a question as I said that to him, and he bit his lip lightly before tearing his gaze away from me.

"They're dead. I'll never-never see them again Rome. Why, why would you lie to me?" A tear slid down my cheek as I asked him, awaiting for any type of response.

Rome didn't say anything, but I saw his jaw clench as he slowly met my eyes again. Pain was evident in them, but my pain was far worse.

"Why didn't you tell me Rome?" I asked again, my voice a bit more firm. I was very surprised I wasn't breaking down right now, but I felt like I would collapse any second now.

When he still didn't answer, I felt anger rising inside of me.

"Why didn't you tell me?!" I yelled at him, pulling my hand away from his and getting the smallest flinch from him.

Elijah and James had been standing in the back, not a word coming from neither of them.

"Uscire." Rome said, his eyes hardening as he looked towards Elijah and James.

(Get out.)

I turned to see them both leaving the room, closing the door as they did so.

"I- there's a lot of reasons..." Rome finally spoke, his stare not wavering from mine.

"I wanted to protect you from this dark world for as long as possible. I didn't want you involved, I was selfish." He admitted.

Another tear trailed down my cheek.

"Yeah," I wiped away the tear quickly, "You were."

His jaw clenched again and he nodded.

Another tense moment of silence went by.