Culverton House .6

1969

When state had to take custody of the house a second time they were definitely not happy.

They had tried to pawn it off onto Talesas Realty again, but they refused to take it. So they tried the other real estate companies, both private and chain in Fort Talesas and the surrounding towns. No takers.

It took offering a major bribe to take over the listing in order for it to exchange hands again.

With the house safely passed off to a real estate company two towns over, the state could go back to pretending that the house wasn't there problem and the town's people could pray that the next buyer would level the place to the ground.

Protected status or not.

They would back them up, each and every person in Fort Talesas, would testify that it was an accident, if they did.

But no one wanted to buy Culverton House. And that was fair.

Eventually the real estate company was tired of having the expense of the keep for that house on their books, so they tried transferring it to any other companies, but that didn't work either. The house had a reputation now, and no one wanted to touch it.

Once a month someone would come to tend to the grounds. They'd cut the grass that grew like weeds, they'd prune the rose bushes outside the house, they'd trim the outside of the maze but no one would go in it anymore.

They'd try to keep a maid, a company to come in a keep the place semi-un-dusty, but no one ever stuck. Things would happen and they'd quit.

It was getting to a point where they wouldn't be able to get anyone to clean the house.

Once a year they'd send someone in to investigate, see if the house was in shape. God forbid it ever needed renovations or emergency fixes done. They weren't sure they had anyone that would go in to fix it.

They were lucky that the house was only on the market for under 20 years. That was a pretty good turn around for an evil house.

Ed and Jean Miller bought the house for an absolute steal.

They paid for a fraction of what it was really worth.

They leant into the house of death angle. Began advertising it that way. They wanted to bring the wackos in. The ones that were interested in the death aspect, who wanted to see how long they could last in the haunted house.

They amped up the hauntedness of it.

They had the lights dimmed, had them half unscrewed so they'd flicker. They turned the temperature down in the house so the place was always cold and they could have the fire in the fireplace roaring. They strategically peeled off wallpaper places and chipped paint to make the house look more dilapidated. They added cobwebs and dust... who adds DUST to a house? The Millers.

They even took ghostly records and rigged them to play, and doors to slam, and floorboards to creak when people set them off.

They were operational within months after purchasing and then the crazies were coming to town.

When the regular stays went well, they started adding specific haunts.

They invited everyone to haunt parties, where they hired people to dress up as the victims of the house and had tourists go through to get scared by them. They ran this mostly through the barn, and the townsfolk found that tacky and insensitive.

The Millers happily reported that there were no strange happenings, no whispers, nor door slammings, nor footsteps. Though, if there were, they didn't know if that was the records they had rigged up for the scary atmosphere or something actually supernatural.