Chapter 85

They didn't know who the culprit was.

"It could have been anyone," said Freya dejectedly once they were back at the Compound. "I... I should have been more careful."

"Yes, you should have been," said Klaus irritably. "Any one of The Hollow's followers could have snuck in and taken it."

"Nik," said Maddy sternly. "It's not her fault. She was focused on helping you. None of us expected someone to break in. Don't get mad at her."

Damon waved his hand. "The venom's gone, that's not changing. What the hell are we gonna do now, is the question."

"I may have an idea," mused Elijah. "A rather festive one."

Klaus cast him a look. "You're not actually suggesting we throw a party, are you?"

"That's exactly what I suggest, Niklaus," he said. "Think of it... Marcel and our family... co-hosts... celebrating the wonderful city of New Orleans. Its most influential creatures would be in attendance, and..."

"... we could weed out those in league with The Hollow," finished Enzo, once he realized what Elijah was planning. "Surely they'd be curious enough to attend. We could either use them to find out what it wants, or..."

"Kill them," finished Damon. "I like the sound of that. Partying, booze, and killing the people who are trying to hurt my nieces. Sounds like a great day."

"It sounds dangerous," said Liv worriedly. "How the hell are we supposed to figure out who's in league with The Hollow when we're supposed to be pretending to party?"

"That's where Vincent comes in," said Elijah. "I believe he may be able to help us. He could tell us what to look out for."

"Alright, fine," said Maddy. "But where will the girls be?"

"At the pasture," suggested Rebekah. "Elena, Cami, and Meredith are the youngest vampires in the group, they could keep an eye on them. Kol and Bonnie won't make it back in time for this, but as long as the other witches attend, it should be enough. If Ansel keeps an eye on them from afar, it should help. I believe he's currently in the Bayou with Jackson, trying to determine if any other wolves are helping The Hollow."

"Alright, then," said Stefan, getting to his feet. "If that's the plan, we need to start preparing now. And sending invitations."

"I'll go talk to Vincent," said Maddy. "Let's just get him on board, first."

"I'll go with you," offered Valerie. "I'd rather not be assigned cleanup duty." She gestured to all the cobwebs and broken bits of wood around them. "This is too much of a mess for me to deal with."

After sending Hope and Anita off safely, the two women drove to Vincent's apartment. They knocked on the door, and waited for him to open. Inside, they could see several maps and pins with strings, connecting different events from newspaper clippings together.

"Is Hope alright?" asked Vincent, assuming that was why they were there.

"She's good," said Maddy. "We're here to invite you to a party. Elijah thinks we can find out who else in this city is involved with The Hollow."

He hummed. "Not a terrible idea. Though, if anything, only a few would show up. Not all. It would risk complete exposure."

"Yeah, I figured, but if we get our hands on even one of The Hollow's followers, we stand more of a chance of figuring out what it wants, right?"

"I just had one question," said Valerie, "do you believe there is a way of protecting us from The Hollow's influence? It already infected Klaus and Elijah. I recall Stefan told me that when Dahlia was here, Freya made a tea to keep her from entering their minds with a kenning spell."