Chapter 86

Maddy and Klaus did not get alone time.

They left in the middle of the night to get the girls from the pasture, bringing everyone back to the Compound. Cami had gone back to her home, but everyone else had settled into their rooms, and in the morning, it was back to business as usual.

"New rules," said Klaus at breakfast, before Hope and Anita came down to eat with them, "no blood shed in the house where my daughter and niece sleep and play. Perhaps we could all go out for dinner." He waved the blood bag in his hand.

"Oh, no, no, no," said Elijah immediately. "We have no way to know who will take Dominic's place as The Hollow's right hand. There could be any number of disciples out there."

"Yes, yes, yes," said Klaus, "all who may have the means to kill us. You know, if you hadn't been so hasty to kill him, we'd be dealing with the devil we know."

Elijah smiled, "Spoken by the devil I know best of all."

"Can you two stop it?" said Rebekah. "What the bloody hell are we going to do now? We ought to discuss that."

"Freya will place a Barrier Spell on the Compound," said Elijah, ignoring everyone's protests. "No one gets in or out."

"That's not fair," said Damon. "We've spent enough time on house arrest here! If it isn't evil aunts or ancient vampires, it's stupid witch spirits, and we never got anything done properly when we were made to stay here constantly. Are you gonna abide by the house arrest, too, or are you gonna be allowed to go wherever you want?"

The look on Elijah's face suggested he was allowing himself to be exempt from the rules, which brought up another round of protests.

"I have a little errand to run," said Elijah. "After that, I will return."

"What errand?" asked Rebekah. "This isn't fair, Elijah!"

Klaus scoffed when Elijah didn't answer immediately. "We're to be grounded while you're off cavorting all over town?"

"Essentially," he said. "Why don't you take out your frustration on that filthy jawbone our enemy seems so fascinated by?"

"Can you at least tell us what the bloody errand is?" demanded Rebekah.

Elijah relented. "I must speak with Vincent about re-establishing the link the witches have to their Ancestors. They imprisoned The Hollow before, they can do it now."

"You don't need to leave the house for that," said Valerie. "We could call Vincent here."

Elijah pursed his lips, and Rebekah huffed. "He's mad at you, isn't he, because you killed Dominic after stating there would be no bloodshed. Nik killed his best friend days ago, did you think he'd be alright with you slaughtering people left and right?"

"I will speak with Vincent," said Maddy loudly. "On the phone. If we all have to stay in the house, so do you, Elijah. Nobody leaves."

Everyone else was fine with staying indoors so long as Elijah was confined there, too.

"Vincent," she said, calling him from one of the upstairs study as she sorted through boxes that had been brought up by the compelled workers who cleared the ballroom. "Elijah had some idea about reestablishing the link to the Ancestors, to trap The Hollow. Reckon that can work?"

He mulled it over for a moment. "It could. But I'm gonna need Davina and Kol's help. She's a Harvest witch, and he can be a conduit for Esther's magic, since it still runs through the city. It will take time."

"That's fine. As soon as possible, but I get that it likely won't happen in a day. Klaus is trying to break that jawbone Hayley found as we speak. The others are researching while they supervise the girls."