Chapter 4

900 BC, ANCIENT GREECE

The market in the main town is busy as Makkari and I walk through it. I look around at all of the vendors, selling lots of different things. Makkari taps me on the shoulder, I turn to look at her.

"Look over there." She signs, pointing to the left of us, Druig is standing at a stall. Hands behind his back and his skin glowing with a tan. "What about him?" I ask back and Makkari gives me a look that she often uses when someone is being particularly stupid. Kingo is almost always on the other end of that look. "Go and talk to him." She says, I shake my head, linking our arms together "I came to the market with you."

Makkari hits me on the head and I wince "what was that for?" I sign angrily, she sighs angrily and throws her hands up in the air "fine but you know he is here for you. He never used to leave the Domo." I roll my eyes and follow as Makkari starts walking again "that wasn't me." She snorts.

We pass different stools until one catches my eye, it's full of rich fabric in different colours. "How much?" I ask the vendor holding up a beautiful dress made of silk the colour of honey, she tells me the price, a kind smile that meets her eyes. I dig around in my purse for the coins when someone leans over me, dropping coins into the ladies waiting hand. I look over and see Makkari "you can pay me back later." I smile and nod. I thank the woman and follow Makkari away.

"What do you want?" I ask her, her eyes light up in glee and points to a stall selling sweet treats "two." Like a good friend I go and pay for two sweet buns for her. Our few moments of peace are stolen however with screams coming from straight ahead of us. Our heads snap up.

People are running towards us, pure terror on their faces "deviants." I tell Makkari and she nods "tell the others, I'll hold them off as long as I can." And within seconds she is gone. Without hesitating I head for the deviants, I throw my hands up concentrating on creating a cosmic shield big enough so that they can't get through.

The deviants grunt, running straight at the shield and I grit my teeth. They keep hitting it, trying to find a way through but I won't let them.

Just when I think I can't hold it anymore Ikaris, Thena, Gilgamesh, Kingo and Makkari appear. I drop the shield, thankful I joke "took your time didn't you." Ikaris sends me a look which tells me not the joke. Always so moody.

"Kingo, help." I call, the man stops and bends down. I run towards him, as I get closer I jump and he pushes me up with his hands. As I fly up I manage to catch ahold of a deviant that is flying through the air. I get on the top of its back, it doesn't notice me at first but by the time it does it's too late as I create a spear of cosmic energy and stick it through the beast. It crashes towards the ground fast, before it can land however I jump off of it. Rolling to the side a boom sounds as the deviant meets the ground.

Without a second to pause Makkari manages to knock another deviant off of its feet, it stumbles towards me. I throw my hands up ready to fight it but I'm not quick enough, it's jaw locks on my arm and I grit my teeth to stop from screaming out. I push it away, Thena comes rushing over and finishes it off. I hiss in pain as blood drips from my arm "you need to go and see Ajak, now." Thena orders, holding up my arm.