Chapter 4

The next morning I wake up and stare at the ceiling, silently wishing I had done more to stop Clint from running off like that

The next morning I wake up and stare at the ceiling, silently wishing I had done more to stop Clint from running off like that. Sighing I decide to not dwell on it and get packed for looking after Morgan Stark. I pick up Tony and Pepper's anniversary gift from the bottom of my closet and tucking it into my bag. I then tie my hair into a perfectly crafted ponytail and head out to my car. My first stop is to the Avenger's compound to see Nat and Steve. It's still weird calling it the Avengers compound when the Avengers are extinct.

When I arrive, I shiver at the how eerie it is with no one around. Like it's abandoned. However when I pull up to the security gate I see a car is already blocking it and the person is waving at the camera in the corner. My heart stops, I know that person. "Scott?" I call out as I climb out my car, the golden retriever male snaps his head to me, thankful to see someone he recognises.

"Noel." He says with a great sigh, a smile broadens on my face and I race towards him. When I reach him I throw my arms around his neck in a hug and he places his hands carefully on my waist. "I thought you were dead." I say squeezing Scott tighter, he does the same as he replies "surprise, I'm not." I laugh weakly, tears brimming my eyes. God I am so pathetic. I pull away from him as the gate opens, Scott looks at me "shall we?" He asks and I nod, wiping away the tear that managed to escape "we shall."

Once inside I embrace Natasha who likes like she has been crying "I didn't expect to see you around these parts for a while." She says sniffing slightly, another indication. I give her arm a comforting squeezing pairing it with a matching smile "I thought I'd come home." I then turn and hug Steve who practically lifts me off the ground with his strength. "It's been quiet without you." He tells me and I pretend to wiped dust off of the desk "and you still haven't hired that maid I suggested the last time I visited did you." I tease earning an appreciative look.

Meanwhile Scott has been pacing the floor in front of us mumbling to himself. "Scott." Steve says snapping the other man out of his thoughts "are you ok?" Lang looks at us wide eyed for a moment as if he still can't believe he is here and to be honest I am pretty curious about how he managed to come back while others haven't. I tilt my head and sit on the desk Nat is currently sitting at. I play with the ring on my middle finger, feeling my mental walls falter, tempted to look into Scott's mind but refraining because I don't know whether what I will see is something I will like.

"Yeah." He answers pressing his fingers into his eyes as though he has just woken up from a good sleep. Scott sucks in a sudden breath and takes away his hands "have any of you guys ever studied quantum physics?" He asks, the most serious we have ever see him. The three of us just give him blank stares and Natasha prompts "only to make conversation."

I sit forward now eager to hear what he has to say. Scott points, his hand shaking "alright, so... five years ago right before.. Thanos. I was in a place called the quantum realm." He starts explaining to us "the quantum realm is like its own microscopic universe. To get in there, you have to be incredibly small. Hope. She's my, um... She was my.... She was supposed to pull me out. And then Thanos happened and I got stuck in there." I scratch the back of my neck and give my friend a sympathetic look.

"I'm sorry Scott." I say "that must have been a very long five years." However he starts shaking his head like a maniac before calmly replying "yeah. But that's just it. It wasn't." We all give him strange looks, unsure of what he means. "For me it was five hours." He finishes explaining, my eyebrows raise and I share a look with Steve who looks mildly curious. "See the rules of the quantum realm aren't like they are up here." Scott continues when none of us say anything "everything is unpredictable. Is that anybody's sandwich?" He gets distracted.

Natasha shakes her head and offers it to him, Scott takes it hungrily and bites into it. "Scott." Steve says redirecting him "what are you talking about?" Scott doesn't even wait until he has finishes his bite to eat before answering "so, what I'm saying is time works differently in the quantum realm. The only problem is right now we don't have a way to navigate it. But what if we did?" I gasp lightly as I realise what he means, the other two look at me but I am staring at Scott who continues talking. "I can't stop thinking about it. What if we could somehow control the chaos and we could navigate it? What if there was a way that we could enter the quantum realm at one point in time but then exit at another point in time? Like.. like before Thanos."

Steve however still looks confused and tilts his head slightly to the side "wait. Are you talking about a time machine?" He asks sounding sceptical and Scott shakes his head, raising the sandwich ready to take another bite. "No. No. Of course not. No, not a time machine. This is more like a.... yeah like a time machine." I bite the inside of my cheek, my hands shaking now with power running through me like it hasn't done in years. Hope.

"I know, it's crazy." Scott admits "it's crazy. But I can't stop thinking about it. There's gotta be some way. It's crazy." He hangs his head as I jump off of the table "Scott." Natasha says and he looks over at her "I get emails from a raccoon. So nothing sounds crazy anymore." I smile, knowing she is talking your Rocket and the program she set up with the hero's left after the snap. Scott looks between the three of us "so who do we talk to about this?"