Chapter 3

We arrive at Ajax's farm just as the weather starts to turn

We arrive at Ajax's farm just as the weather starts to turn. I wrap a jacket around my body tightly against the cold creeping in "let's go inside." I say before anyone else can say anything. We reach the front porch and see that the front door is wide open. "Hello?" Sersei calls out but we are only met with the howling of the wind. "Ajak?" I ask as we start inside the seemingly abandoned house. We walk through the dark house slowly, the heels of Sersei's shoes the only noise besides the howling wind. We all notice the back door open at the same time and Sersei is the first to walk through it, hoping it will lead us to our friend. "This is creepy as shit." Sprite whispers not wanting to make too much noise, I give her a grimace in return because she isn't wrong. It is really fucking creepy in here.

Ikaris, Sprite and I continue to search the house until we hear Sersei shouting Ajax's name. We all come running outside and spot Sersei kneel on the ground beside a body. My heart stops and I feel a wave of nausea. No, not another one. Not another person I love dead, I don't know how I will cope with another loss. Thunder rumbles in the distance and my tears join the rain slipping down my face. She can't be dead. Not the woman who had the power to heal any injury, I didn't even know we could die. I guess this is a reality check. Sprite falls to the ground in tears just as Ikaris says "It was a deviant." finally breaking the silence threatening to choke us.

"How do you know?" I ask wiping the tears from my eyes, Ikaris shoots me a look full of daggers "What else could it be?" He snaps before making his way back into the house. I go over to Sprite and help her up "Let's get you dried." I say pushing back any emotions I am feeling for the sake of my friends, I know none of them have felt loss like this before but this is all too common a feeling for me. The feeling of being swallowed whole by sadness. Once inside I help Sprite clean up and find her a change of clothes from when she used to live her.

When she is changed we go back into the kitchen and she plays through happy memories of her and Ajak through her gift. The one currently playing is of the two of them singing and dancing around the kitchen and my heart squeezes at the depth of this loss. Sprite gets rid of the illusion, tears streaming down her face "It was the last time I saw her." She explains to Ikaris and I, Sersei is still in the garden with our leaders body. "Ajak asked me to check on Sersei. So I went to London. Turned out both of us were lonely, and we needed each other." She continues as Ikaris and I move to sit with her at the table "I guess in her way Ajak never stopped trying to take care of us."

I nod understanding what she means, Ajak has always had a motherly instinct towards all of us. Seeing us as her children that need protection and guidance from time to time, she was always happy to assist with it too. I look down at my trembling hands, I flex my shaky fingers, allowing my power to snake in between them. Releasing some of the energy building up inside of me. "It's the first time in 7000 years one of us has died." I muse, standing up to put the kettle on, unsure of what else to do "I think the deviant that attacked you in London killed Ajak and absorbed her powers." Ikaris leans back in his chair and I can feel his eyes on me as I set to work making four cups of tea.