Chapter 9

"Why did Sprite go with Ikaris?" Makkari signs, trying to wrap her head around what was revealed while she was away searching the Tiamut

"Why did Sprite go with Ikaris?" Makkari signs, trying to wrap her head around what was revealed while she was away searching the Tiamut. "Because she loves him." Kingo answers after several seconds of awkward silence and then looks around at all of us when we still don't speak "Oh, you guys didn't pick up on that? He really fooled us didn't he?" Druig clutches my hand so tightly it starts to hurt but I don't say anything, I just lean into him letting his warmth envelop me. Kingo turns to his human companion "Karun let's go." He says and Phastos tilts his head up "Wait, where the hell are you going?" He asks and Kingo shakes his head "I can't help you guys." He says "I still think Ikaris is right."

I step forward, letting Druig's hand slip from my own "So that's it huh?"I demand, my anger rising again "Just gonna follow him?" Kingo takes a step back, clearly seeing the anger in my eyes. "I love the people of this planet." He defends "But if you stop the emergence, you are preventing so many other worlds like this one from being created." My power rises up around me and I see Kingo visibly flinch. "You're a coward." I say, focusing on keeping my voice from breaking and I suddenly feel Druig behind me, resting a calm hand on my back. 

"I still have faith in Arishem." Kingo continues, ignoring me "But I refuse to hurt any of you for my beliefs." Makkari goes over to him and places a hand on his shoulder. "We need you." She signs and Kingo looks at her with softness in his eyes "Even with my help, we're no match. It's Ikaris." I snort and cross my arms "He isn't invisible Kingo, he can die just like Gil and Ajak." I say their names in the hopes it would remind him of who he has hurt to get to this point, the parts of our family that are never coming back. "But." He says walking towards the hallway "I hope to see you all on the next planet." 

He walks away and Phastos throws his hands up in the air. Karun turns to us and says in Hindi "Thank you all for what you have done for humanity. It has been a great honour. I will miss you all" He bows his head and follows after Kingo leaving the rest of us in despair.  

"Look." Druig says once the other two are securely out of sight "If I'm gonna get myself killed going up against Ikaris, we'll need to have a backup plan." Phastos seems to be at his wit's end as he throws his hands up in the air and explains "All our powers, even if they're amplified, are not enough to kill a celestial, so..." Druig throws an arm around my shoulder and argues "Well, Sersei did turn a Deviant into a tree." We all turn to our new leader, I remember that happening in the Amazon where Druig used to live. This catches Phastos off guard as he says "I'm sorry, what? You didn't wanna tell me that?"

 Sersei looks like a child being scolded as she leans against one of the walls of our ship and Makkari signs "You've never been able to do it before." Sersei frowns before admitting "I dont know how it happened, okay? And I'm pretty sure I couldn't do it again." Phastos laughs and his tone becomes slightly happier "Well, now is the time to try don't you think?" He asks. Sersei steps forward, the blush from a minute ago leaving her face "Phastos, that Deviant is dead." She states "Our plan is to put Tiamut to sleep, not kill it. I can't kill a Celestial."

Phastis raises his voice then "Sersei. Sersei." And she cuts him off, as angry as I have ever seen her "We can't!" We all stop and stare at her, surprised at the outburst from the girl who is usually the most calm and collected out of all of us. "We can't." She says softer this time before Druig replies "It's okay Sersei. I got this." She gives him a soft look and a slight pit forms in my stomach. The last person who thought he could take saving the world into his hands it dead, and I miss him every day. Sersei walks off just then leaving the rest of us to try to figure out a plan. 

-

Once the Uni-Mind has been created and we are all suited up, Makkari flies to Domo to where she found the Celestial. While Thena distracts Ikaris, Makkari and I get everyone else onto the island. "It's time to put a god to sleep." I muse casually as we stare up at the smoking volcano. We all click our bracelets on and we start to rise into the air, joining our power so that Druig can use it to stop Tiamut. There is distant whispering and then, thanks to my gift, a force field forms around us like a golden cloud. 

Just then a bean of energy comes flying towards us and knocks Druig out of the air, consequently knocking us out of it too. "Druig!" I shout rushing towards him although I don't get there in time as Ikaris picks him up and says "I should have done this five centuries ago." Before flying off with him. We watch as Ikaris throws Druig down while still in the air and blasts him with his lasers, I scream in panic and throw out as much energy as I can muster to let him land gently. Ikaris then turns back for the Domo and we watch as he blasts it, sending the ship hurtling towards us. Makkari moves us out of the way just in time as it lands with a crash on the beach. She then races over to it and grabs both Thena and Phastos before they can get hurt anymore. 

Ikaris lands in the sand near us and announces "Druig is gone." I stand motionless, there's no way. It isn't possible, I caught him. I know I did.  "It's over." Ikaris says as though it would ever be that simple, I grit my teeth and blast my energy at him causing Ikaris to fall away from us and groan in agony. I let up only when Makkari launches herself at him, speeding away with him, punching him at a speed he cannot compete with. As Makkai and Ikaris fight there is a distant cracking sound and electrical crackling behind us. Then the volcano erupts.