Chapter 10

We land in a crash in 2012, the year of the Battle of New York

We land in a crash in 2012, the year of the Battle of New York. Tony catches me as I trip over my own feet "alright." Steve says as the others brush themselves off "we all have our assignments. Two stones uptown, one stone down. Stay low. Keep an eye on the clock." We hear a massive thud behind us and suddenly hulk comes into view smashing up a chitari and several other things in the process. Our Banner looks embarrassed however Steve just adds "maybe smash a few things along the way."

Bruce sighs and starts ripping his shirt "I think it's gratuitous but whatever." He says. He walks away from us and smashes into the roof of an abandoned taxi hesitantly. Once he has left us Steve turns to the rest of us "you all know the plan right?" He asks and we all nod "good, let's go." We head straight for the, what was then, Stark Tower. All the way trying to dodge chitari soliders who are hellbent on causing chaos all around us.

Once finally there Tony says "best hustle Cap. Things look like they're just about wrapped up here." We are all getting into position when Steve replies "got it. I'm approaching the elevator now" I stay on the ground, face obscured and waiting for the others. I am back up in case things go wrong, which of course they probably will. I hear Tony scoff in my ear "Mr Rogers, I almost forgot that that suit... did nothing for your ass." I snort and Steve retorts "no one asked you to look, Tony." Someone across the road stares at me for longer than I want them to so I look away, ducking my head underneath my cap hoping they don't recognise me.

Scott then chimes in "I think you look great, cap. As far as I'm concerned, that's America's ass." I roll my eyes and turn to face the wall, so no one thinks I am talking to myself "come on guys, let's focus. I know Steve's ass can be pretty distracting." A smile wobbles on my face as I hear the blonde sigh. "All right, Cap, I got our sceptre in the elevator." Tony tells us as I notice him flying above the building "just passing the 80th floor." There is a pause before I hear another manly voice reply "got it."

I suck in a breath and slip inside the building, I keep my hat low and head over to where the stairs are that lead all the way up. "Head to the lobby." Steve tells our other friend and I gently tap my ear before adding "in position." I spot Tony in a guard suit looking at our past selves leading Loki to justice. God is that what my hair looked like back then? And that suit! I'm quite happy with the one Shuri made me.

"Thumbelina, do you copy?" Tony asks breaking through my thoughts "I've got eyes on the prize. It is go time." A few seconds later we get a response from Scott "bombs away." He says sounding far away due to how small he is. "Is that Axe body spray?" Antman asks in surprise and Stark replies "yeah, I had a can in the desk for emergencies. Relax. Can we focus please." I snort and shake my head at the stupidity of that conversation "I'm going inside you." Scott says and that makes me almost loose it. He is so immature.

Tony and I watch as the arguments that we know all about, unfold. Tony inhales sharply before ordering "all right, move it, Stuart Little. Things are getting dicey out here. Let's go." As the arguing continues Scott asks "you promise me you won't die?" and tensely Tony replies "we're only giving me a mild cardiac dysrhythmia." Scott sounds panicked when he says "that doesn't sound mild." I lock eyes with Tony before answering "don't worry Scott, he's been through worse." And it's true, both of us remembering the time the machine was completely ripped from his chest by a man who he thought was his friend.

We wait a few more moments before past Tony collapses to the floor and the case seems to move on its own although I know Scott I pushing it. I notice that Loki, past Loki, notices the case move and watches it curiously as Tony picks it up smoothly and starts walking away. "Good job." Tony says coming towards me, I have a smile on my face "meet us in the alley. I'm gonna grab a quick slice." He goes to open the door however it bursts open with so much force it knocks Tony back and the case opens. "Shit." I curse as the door comes flying towards me, I use my abilities to transport it somewhere else using a portal. I immediately stop using my powers, hoping no one saw it.

I look back around and notice a severe lack of a dark-haired Asgardain. "double shit." I say racing to help Tony. He clutches my arm as I pull him up. "That wasn't supposed to happen was it?" Scott asks and I shake my head knowing he can hear me. Alarms in the building start going off and once Tony is safely on his feet I say "go back to the alley I'm going to find Steve and we will think of a new plan ok?" He nods and the two of them head off.

"Steve, where are you?" I ask going into the stairwell knowing I will find no one here. I hear grunting and groaning before he finally replies "having.... some.... difficulty...... Noel. 14th..... floor." I sigh and portal to his location. What I see is not what I expected at all. He is fighting himself. I bring my power up and into my palms, blasting him away. "Noel?" Past Steve asks, confused "what..?" I sigh and grab the case "it's not what it looks like I promise." I tell him but he looks at me accusingly. "You're working with Loki?" Past Steve says as current day Steve returns to my side "I would tell you the truth but you'd never believe me." I say honestly and I create a portal behind us. Past Steve looks dejected but stays silently as we walk through the portal and into the alley way.