Chapter 6

"This dress makes me feel weird

"This dress makes me feel weird." I mutter as we walk the streets of South Korea. Okoye scoffs and replies "quit whining." T'Challa shoots a smirk at me. We stop at a stall and Nakia greets the woman running it by saying "Sophia good to see you." in Koren. The women looks over at us suspiciously and asks Nakia "who are these three?" the dark skinned woman looks back at us before answering "my friends from Kenya." the woman eyes me more intensely "very deep pockets. they're good." The woman, Sophia doesn't even hesitate before biting back "good for trouble.. like you?" There is an awkward pause where Okoye, T'Challa and I all share looks before the two women break out into a smile and Sophia lets us pass.

I follow closely behind T'Challa as we pass through a metal detector, of course none of our weapons are picked up. Shuri is too smart to be fooled by something as simple as that. When we get into the club, we lean over the balcony at the betting tables below us "spread out" T'Challa orders to us lowly "the buyer is likely already here." As casually as we can we start to leave each other, I slip down the stairs, careful to bat my eyes at different men whenever they happen to glance in my direction. Many things have changed over the years but a woman's beauty has always been her weapon, and men always fall victim to it.

I make my way to a betting table and start to play, I let my power branch out, letting me inside their heads. Humans are not as adept at keeping their thoughts a secret as they might think.

And what are you doing now my beautiful Noelle? Druig's voice caresses the walls of my mind and I shiver. I am playing cards I reply casually trying to keep my focus on the game and the thoughts of those around me. I can't be distracted, even if it by him. You wouldn't be illegally playing cards now would you? he asks as a follow up question, I smile and tip my head you know me so well. There is a pause and I am sure he is gone until he says you spend millennia with a person and you would be surprised with how well you know them and then he is gone.

He is right though, after spending so long together we know each others tells, habits, ways of speaking. We are probably closer then anyone else in our little band, even after we split up Druig and I went away together. If I could go back to how simple things were back then I would, but now looking around me, I can't imagine fitting in anywhere else. I was meant to help humanity, even if Arishem forbids it.

"Eyes up." Okoye says through our comms, snapping me out of my thoughts "Americans." I move my eyes up to the balcony where we were a few minutes ago and sure enough there they are "I count three." Nakia says into my ear, I scan the rest of the place for anyone else that sticks out like a sore thumb "five." I correct casually under my breath "how could you miss Greased Lightning there behind you." I let my eyes stay on the man I have just identified as he talks to someone who looks like his colleague. "Six." The King says "just spotted an old friend who works for the CIA. It just got a little more complicated." I know he who he is referencing as I spotted him a moment after he did.

I move away from my place at the table and head over to the bar, I take a seat on a stool opposite Nakia turn to the barman "vodka martini please." I order in smooth Korean and he nods. Nakia snorts into her own drink and I turn to her "what?" I ask and she shrugs, placing her drink down on the bar "that's not what I thought you would order." I open my mouth to respond before I am cut off by the general "ladies. focus." she hisses. My drink is done and I take a light sip as I watch T'Challa talk with Agent Ross across the room.