Chapter 10

I wake up in a hut, bright light weeping in through the open door

I wake up in a hut, bright light weeping in through the open door. Wincing I sit up and rub my head "you are awake." A voice says, bouncing through the walls in my mind and I wince again. Looking around me I see Shuri, Okoye, T'Challa and Bucky all sitting and standing around me.

"I am sorry." I say bringing my knees up to my chest, memories of what happened came back to me in waves, "I didn't mean for that to happen." I look down at the ground and I feel someone move. T'Challa sits down next to me "what happened Noelle?" He asks gently, I look over at him, Okoye visibly tense.

I try to ignore how she clutches her spear as I answer "Sprite, the other Eternal you met the other day. We had an argument and she brought up things that layer buried in me. Feelings I never thought I would deal with again. It was a lot." He nods and rubs my back comfortingly. "That power you released." He tells me "caused an earthquake powerful enough that it almost made our shields collapse." Guilt rises up inside me.

"Is there anything I can do to help?" I ask and Shuri shakes her head "we fixed the problem." She tells me "just stay here, away from anything that might cause you stress." I bite my lip and look down, still feeling ashamed. "I am truly sorry for any damage I have caused, if there is anything I can do please tell me."

They leave me and Bucky alone in the hut. "Do you like it?" He asks leaning on his hands, I look around "have you been staying here?" I ask trying to hide the shock but failing. Red rises on Bucky's face and he nods "yeah, it seems they did with me what they did with you, but it's ok." I nudge him, he sounds a lot more confident then he was when he first came out of the ice "at least we have each other." I say smiling. Bucky gives me a weak smile back.

-

The next day I go with Bucky for his testing, "I'll meet up with you when you are done." I tell him "I am going to see Shuri." And I split off from him down the her lab.

Shuri is working away at a suit on the table in front of her, she doesn't even notice me come in. I take this opportunity to sneak down and scare here. "Gods! Noelle!" She says jumping and clutching her chest "I almost punched you." I smile and sit down on a stool while Shuri turns back to her work "that would have been good to see." I muse "I always wondered how hard you punch."

Shuri shoots me a look but I just continue to smile at her. "How are you doing?" She asks, I spin around on my chair "good, I feel better then I have in a while, maybe I needed that time." Just then footsteps come from where Agent Ross is being treated.

As though summoned by my thoughts the agent comes padding over to us "all right, where am I?" He demands, fury leaking from him. Shuri just gives him an entertained look "don't scare me like that coloniser!" She says and I stifle a laugh because she very clearly wasn't scared she just wanted to say the word coloniser.

"What?" He stammers, his eyes flicking to me "my name is Everett." He says placing a hand on his chest. Shuri turns back to her work "yes I know. Everett Ross. Former Air Force pilot and now CIA." Ross looks over at me and narrows his eyes "did you tell them that stuff about me?" I scoff and roll my eyes. "I didn't even know half of that stuff about about Agent Ross. You are not a very interesting person."

This seems to offend him even more as he looks around before asking "ok, is this Wakanda?" Shuri pauses what she is doing and she looks at me subtly before saying sarcastically "No it's Kansas." I laugh this time instead of trying to stifle it.

"How long ago was Korea?" He asks seeming to loose his patients with us "yesterday." I answer. Ross shakes his head "I don't think so." He argues "bullet wounds don't just magically heal overnight." Both Shuri and I chuckle and she says "they do here."

I check the time on my watch and stand up "it was nice seeing you Ross." I say tipping my head and heading for the door "where you are going?" He calls out. I stop in the entrance way "like I said earlier. You are not an interesting man Everett, I am going to find someone who is." And I slip from the room.

-

"What the hell happened?" Druig's voice is laced with concern. "Nothing." I answer as I watch children play in the river by Bucky and my hut. "Noelle, did you forget that I can see into your mind? I know what happened." I roll my eyes and lay down on the grass raising my hands as I squint against the sun "if you already knew then why did you ask?"

I hear him sigh in my mind and I can picture his expression perfectly "want me to come see you?" He asks after a moment of silence. I sit up again as the kids start squealing "No it's ok." I say "it's probably time I move on anyway, I might go back to Phastos."

I feel Druig leave my mind and I stand up, brushing myself off and heading back over to the palace.

I am packing my things as T'Challa marches in, "you were not even going to say goodbye?" He asks when he takes in my suitcase. I stop what I'm doing and turn to face him "I was." I tell him honestly "I just didn't want to give you a chance to talk me out of it."

T'Challa's frown deepens as he asks "why are you going?" I shrug, looking down at my shoes which are black combat boots. "I put your city at risk the other day." I tell him "I think I need to be by myself for a little while." He sighs and we rest our foreheads together "i will miss you." He says. I squeeze his arm gently "you will be a great king T'Challa I have faith in that."

We embrace quickly and he says "at least let me walk you out." I nod pushing my hair from my face. I finish packing and say "I just have one more stop to make first."

-

We stop off at lab where Bucky is currently getting tested on "hey you." I say pocking him in the chest. Bucky smiles affectionally at me before looking at the bag in my hand and his smile drops "you're leaving." He says and I nod trying hard not to look away. "I am, but if you need anything. I mean anything Bucky you call me ok?" He nods and we embrace.

"I thought you would stay for a little while longer." He mutters and I gently stroke his hair "you don't need me here anymore." I say "you are getting better already, I believe you will be ok." Before we can say anymore the scientists usher me out. Making Bucky laugh.

The Queen Mother meets us in the entrance "thank you letting me stay." I say bowing slightly she waves me off like she did my first day back "you are always welcome here Noelle, any time." I smile and she tips her head at me.

With that I open the portal I need to get to my destination and step through it.

"Noelle?" A familiar voice says "what are you doing here?" I drop my bag and turn to him. A smile graces my lips "hey Stark. How you been?"