Chapter 9

Month 1

Month 1

The world has gone to shit, its crude but the only way I can describe what is happening right now. Of course there are some people that are trying to help, scientists (those that are left) are trying to figure out what happened and how to reverse it. And for those of us who know the truth, know that there isn't a way back from this. It's done. Thanos snapped his finger and half of the universes population floated away as though they were nothing. Including some of those I hold dear.

"Noel what are you doing?" Natasha Romanoff asks snapping me from my thoughts. I am stood on the roof of the Avengers Compound, over looking the far away New York City. I turn my head back to look at her "nothing." I answer, my voice toneless. She sighs and comes closer towards me "you know you can talk to me Noel." She says resting her head on my shoulder and interlocking our fingers "about anything."

I close my eyes and for a second it's like nothing from the past month has happened. But then I open my eyes and that's not the reality, because those things did happen. "It's not that simple Nat." I muse gently. Natasha tugs my arm and I let her lead me down into the building.

Inside the others are all sitting in a living room area, no one is speaking. There are a few bottles of scotch on the table which I go straight for. I pick one up before sitting down next to Steve, taking a swig as he says "so what? That's it? We are giving up." I snort and grip the bottle tightly in my hand. "There is nothing left Steve, Thanos has gone and he has taken the stones. What are we supposed to do?" I ask.

Everyone stays silent for a moment, because I'm right. There is no hope. Steve shakes his head and takes the bottle from my hands, placing it on the table "there must be something we can do, find him. Take the stones and bring everyone back." Natasha scratches the back of her neck, clenching and unclenching her other hand "we don't even know if we can bring them back."

Steve rubs a hand on his jaw gingerly "don't we owe it to them to try?" I laugh lowly, standing up and picking the bottle back up "you can go on that fool errand Steve. And I wish you luck with that." I muse before sauntering slowly from the room.

Month 2

"What are you doing Noel?" A voice asks from behind me, I turn to look behind me and spot Natasha leaning against the door frame. Her hair is in a braid curling over her shoulder and she is wearing a cream coloured sweater that I bought her years ago for her birthday. "Thor and I have been talking." I explain turning back around to continue packing my things "we have no reason to stay here. We aren't the Avengers anymore, the world doesn't need us."

I hear footsteps and then Natasha is standing beside me "there is something worth staying for." She says softly "we can still do some good." I shake my head and look at her, her features expressing betrayal and sadness. "I promised someone I would go and see them, I cant break another promise." I close my suitcase and put it on the floor.

"Another one?" Natasha presses and I run a hand through my dark hair frustrated "I promised to always fight for human kind as part of my responsibilities when coming to Earth. I failed." Natasha places a hand on my shoulder and squeezes it gently "you didn't fail Noel, we all tried but he was just stronger." I shrug her off and take my case in my hand.

I move towards the door, Natasha staying where she was "goodbye Natasha."

Month 3

I didn't go to Druig straight away, I took my time as I travelled from country to country until I finally make my way towards his village in the Amazon. I try to help people wherever possible but it's hard when there is a massive panic.

No one trusts any one, everyone is scared. They have no idea what's going on and I can't exactly tell them the truth, it'll only make it worse. If they believe me.

I get out of the boat I used to travel to where Druig lives and glance around at the village. It's quiet, probably due to the snap. I can imagine this place was probably thriving with life before we failed them.

"Are you Noel?" A young man asks coming over to me, I smile as brightly as I can and push my bag up on my shoulder "I am." I answer and he nods. He gestures and starts walking "if you'd like to come with me." He says and I do.

We walk through the village until we reach the other end, there is a house on the outskirts. A wooden lodge with steam coming from the chimney. The man walks up to the door and knocks gently.

"She is here boss." He says before stepping back and looks over his shoulder at me. His dark eyes boring into my soul. "You can go in Miss." he says and i saunter past him. "Thank you...." I trail off, not knowing his name.

He scratches the back of his next "Max." I nod and give him a gentle look "thank you Max." When he leaves I push through the door and Druig is standing there.

Upon seeing him, my eyes start to water. My mind going back to the time I last saw him, how right everything was. "It's ok gorgeous." He soothes coming towards me and embracing me into his warm body.

That makes me break down in sobs.

"It's ok."