Chapter 1

Before

Before

"It is time." I hear a voice through my sleep and slowly I open my eyes. I am kneeling down in front of a statue of Arishem, I don't know how I know it is him I just do. Everyone around me stays silent as we all stand and head over to the walls of our ship. We stand facing each other as our suits are placed on our bodies, everyone has a different colour. Mine is red. When that is done we start to move around. I end up looking out of a window, standing next to a man in a red and black suit, similar to mine but not completely the same.

I look at him secretly, his dark features making him look mysterious and dark. He catches me staring and smiles "It's rude to stare." He says and I am taken aback by his accent. I hide the shock and turn back to the window "Then stop it." I muse as I still feel his eyes on me. He looks away before introducing himself "Druig." I nod, staring out at the stars in front of us "Noel."

5000 BC Mesopotamia

After several days travel through space to Earth we finally reach it. We have a plan in place since it an almost even split between those of us with offensive powers and those without. "You nervous?" Druig asks coming over to stand with me, I shake my head while clenching and unclenching my fists. "No." I answer confidently "This is what we were supposed to do. I will not disappoint Arishem."

He chuckles at my cockiness before the door of the Domo opens and those of us with offence abilities leave to protect the humans. I use a portal as a deviant launches itself at me making it fall flat on its face in front of Gilgamesh who punches it further into the ground, thereby killing it. I watch as Thena, with ethereal grace, throws herself onto a deviant and stabs it through with a spear as she lands. As another deviant tries to get me it is launched sideways but what seems to be a breeze but I know is Makkari. Our resident speedster.

To thank her for it I send a blast of energy towards the same deviant at the same time she hits it again and it falls down dead.

Once the deviants have been taken care of, the rest of our team join us on the ground. To stop the humans from freaking out, as they are currently silently staring at us Durig controls their minds to calm them. Ajak heals both mine and Ikaris' wounds, I got cut in the shoulder during one of the fights before I move over by Druig who gives me a small smile "Good fight." He says and I smile weakly "thanks."

Ajak then nods gently at Sersi, who goes over to a rock, picks it up, and changes it into a dagger. Before handing it to a boy, as a peace offering to show we mean no harm.

Now

I am in London, after visiting Druig and spending a couple of months there with him. I don't think I could ever stay there full-time, even with the love of my life there. It's too isolated from everything else. So I am spending time with Sprite and Sersi. Sprite and I are currently sitting on the couch watching tv lazily and stuffing popcorn into our mouths regardless that it is 10:00 am.

"Why do you like this film so much?" Sprite asks before shoving more popcorn into her mouth, we are currently watching Legally Blonde. I shrug and sip my drink "It sends a good message." I reply and Sprite just gives me a concerned look so I explain "Well think about it, at the beginning, Elle is unmotivated and doesn't care about anything but looks. But at the end of the movie, she realises her true potential and that she needs a man who doesn't undervalue her."

My friend scoffs and digs into our bowl of popcorn "You think about it too much." I roll my eyes and continue to watch the movie.

-

As I am cleaning up the breakfast stuff and Sprite is running an errand, the ground starts to shake uncontrollably. I frown, clutching onto the glasses on the counter that almost fall and smash. That is strange, England doesn't get earthquakes. It physically can't. So what the hell was that. My phone pings and I check it to see its the group chat that me, Sprite and Sersi have made.

Sprite: You guys felt that right???

Sersi: Yep, what the hell was that? An Earthquake?

Me: Well, whatever it was it can't have been good.

I tuck my phone into my jeans pocket and continue with the chores.

-

Later when Sersi is done with her job, she and Sprite are getting ready to go out for her boyfriend's birthday. "Are you sure you can't come?" Sersi asks as I sit cross-legged on her bed and watch as she puts earrings in her ears. I nod my head, grabbing a pillow and tugging it close to me. "I am sure." I reply solemnly "I haven't been in a partying mood since...." I trail off because we both know what I am referencing. I still haven't spoken to anyone about the funeral, not with any of my family. It just feels wrong, talking about Tony with people who didn't even know him.

Sersi gives me a pity filled looked "Dane really wants you there." She tries to say convincingly. I shrug and get up, heading for the door "send him my regards." I say before heading across the hall to my own bedroom.