Chapter 14

I stay for the funeral

I stay for the funeral. It's the least I can do, even if the only thing I wish to do right now is leave. Leave, disappear, never come back. I need to stay for Morgan, who doesn't completely understand that her dad is never coming back. We are sitting in the living room, Happy, Pepper, Morgan and I and we are all watching a recorded hologram message from Tony, one he recorded when he died. "Everybody wants a happy ending, right?" He says "But it doesn't always roll that way. Maybe this time. I'm hoping you play this back it's in celebration. I hope families are reunited. I hope we get it back and something like a normal version of the planet is restored. If there ever was such a thing. God, what a world. Universe now. if you told me 10 years ago that we weren't alone, let alone to this extent, I mean, I would have been surprised. But come on, who knew? The epic forces of darkness and light have come into play. And for better or worse that's the reality Morgan's gonna have to find a way to grow up in."

I glance at his daughter who is clutching onto Pepper's arm tightly, looking up at her dad with confusion. "So I thought better record a little greeting in case of an untimely death. On my part." Tony continues in the recording "Not that death at any time isn't untimely. This time travel thing that we're gonna try and pull off tomorrow it's got me scratching my head about the survivability of it all. That's the thing. Then again, that's the hero gig, right? Part of the journey is the end. What am I even tripping for? Everything's gonna work out exactly the way it's supposed to." Then his whole demeanour changes and he addresses his daughter "I love you 3000." He says and tears threaten to spill from my eyes.

The recording ends and Pepper stands up announcing "It's time." We nod, Happy, Rohdey and I make our way outside with the others. I stand with Steve and Thor, all of us with grim expressions on our faces. I never thought I would have to say goodbye to Tony, he seemed invincible for so long. As though nothing could cut him down. But he was human, and he died saving the world. Pepper walks down, to the lake and places a bouquet of flowers on it, Tony's arc reactor on it as a memorial to him. Tears spill down my face and Steve places a comforting arm around my shoulder, pulling me into him.

After the funeral I stand with Wanda and Clint by the lake, mourning the loss of our two other friends. Natasha and Vision, who everyone else seems to have forgotten about as no plans have been made for their funerals. "You know I wish there was a way that I could let her know. That we won. We did it." Clint breaks the silence, and the two of us girls look over at him. "She knows," Wanda replies kindly, I pick up a stone and throw it out onto the lake, creating a small ripple as it sinks to the bottom. "They both do," I add and Wanda offers me a small smile.

-

I am standing with Sam and Bucky as Bruce and Steve are getting ready to transport the stones back to the times they were taken. "Remember." Bruce says opening a briefcase with the stones inside it "You have to return the stones to the exact moment you got them or you'll open up a bunch of nasty alternative realities." Steve nods, closes the case and takes hold of it"Don't worry Bruce." He says "Clip all the branches." There is a pause filled with silence until Bruce adds "You know, I tried. When I had the gauntlet, the stones, I really tried to bring her back." I suck in a breath as I realise who he means and I look away.

"You know if you want, I could come with you," Sam says as Steve walks up onto the platform, I move to join Bucky who has stayed silent this entire time. "You're a good man, Sam." Steve tells his friend "This one's on me though." He then looks over at Bucky, who perks up slightly "Don't do anything stupid until I get back." Steve tells him, reciting the old saying they used to say as a parting word back in the 40s "How can I?" Bucky finishes "You're taking all the stupid with you." I smile at the little banter shared between the two, that Bucky remembers enough about his past to remember that. They embrace and then Steve looks at me "Do what you need to do Steve." I tell him vaguely "We will still be here." he nods, understanding what I mean before heading up the steps.

Bruce counts down and then Steve disappears. I suck in a breath, tucking my hands into my jacket pockets matching Bucky. There is a silence that separates all of us, none of us wanting to break it until Steve comes back. A bird flies over, it lands on the makeshift stage and looks around confused. As though he recognises that it wasn't here before. "And returning in five, four, three, two, one." Bruce cuts through the silence and flicks a switch that should bring Steve back. Except he isn't here. My eyes snap to Banner, panic racing through me "Where is he, Bruce?" I ask slowly and he looks down at his machines confused.

"I don't know." Banner admits "He blew right by his time stamp. He should be here." Bucky starts walking away then and I follow when I see what he has seen. "Sam," Bucky calls out catching the other guy's attention. We all stand there and stare at an older man sitting on a bench overlooking the lake. "Go ahead." Bucky says nudging Sam, they share a silent look before Sam goes over to an older Steve.

I link arms with Bucky and say "you're a good man Buck." He lets out a breathy chuckle as though he doesn't believe me. I look up at him "I'm serious, anyone else would have demanded they have the right to this. You know when to step back." Bucky looks at the ground as though ashamed "After everything I've done...." He trails off so I finish for him "you deserve a break. We all do." This makes him look at me so I explain. "I am done, I don't want to be a superhero anymore. I just want a normal life. I have lived here for 7000 years, and I have never not been in conflict. I need to find out what peaceful living is like."

Bucky laughs this time and clutches my hand in his "me too."