Chapter 7

"Why do you have to go?" Morgan asks running over and clutching my leg as Tony packs our things into the car

"Why do you have to go?" Morgan asks running over and clutching my leg as Tony packs our things into the car. I pick her up and place her on my hip "because little bug, me and your dad have some important work to do ok? I promise I'll be back as soon as it's over." She pouts and the trunk of the car slams down "let's go." Tony says. I place his daughter down on the ground and she goes running over to Pepper, who gives us a subtle nod.

I climb into the car and Tony immediately starts driving away I turn on the radio. The journey is mostly silent and I rest my head on the window. "You don't think we are making a mistake do you?" He asks and I look over at him. Shaking my head I sit up straighter "no." I answer firmly "we figured out a way to help get everyone back, how can we not?" Tony sucks in a breath and clutches the steering wheel tightly "what if I lose what I have because we are trying to get back what is lost?" I understand the dread he is feeling, or I try to. Eternals can't have children, a heartbreaking fact I realised in the 1600s but that is a story for another time. "That won't happen Tony." I assure him softly "besides can't you imagine how excited Peter would be to meet Morgan." Tony huffs out a small laugh and I smile. Although Peter Parker isn't Tony's son in any legal way, after Germany, Tony saw him as a son and he was the motivator for him to start researching this time machine.

We arrive back at the compound and Steve is waiting to greet us. Before we get out of the car Tony rolls down his window dramatically and asks "why the long face?" I snort and place my sunglasses over my eyes "let me guess." I add "he turned into a baby." Steve places his hands on his hips. He looks away from us nodding his head slightly "among other things, yeah. What are you doing here?" Instead of answering him, Tony tells him what went wrong without having to look at the machine they built. "It's the EPR Paradox." He explains and we both finally climb out of the car "instead of pushing Lang through time, you might've wound up...." I finish his sentence for him "pushing time through him. It's tricky and dangerous. Somebody could have cautioned you against it."

Steve sighs again and says "he did." Motioning to Tony who is glancing at his car absently before he snaps his head back to us and tilts it slightly "oh, did I?" He asks innocently and I smile at his cockiness. "Well, thank God I'm here." He continues as he walks over to the car's trunk. "Regardless." I say "we fixed it." I showed Steve the band Tony and I were working on before we returned to the compound "a fully functioning time-space GPS." When Steve doesn't say anything Tony adds "I just want peace." And he throws up the peace symbol. Steve and I share a look and shrug before we make our way over to the trunk Stark has just opened.

Tony digs inside and brings out a shiny, red, white and blue shield and offers it to our friend. "Tony I don't know." Steve says his voice unsure, Tony just tilts his head again "why?" He asks innocently "he made it for you. Plus, honestly, I have to get it out of the garage before Morgan takes it sledding." I chuckle at the image and shake my head. Steve takes the shield and stares at it on his arm for a few moments. As we follow Tony inside I nudge Steve's arm "I told you I'd get him on our side." I muse and he smiles affectionally down at me "you were right Noel." He answers "as always."