🌺 CHAPTER TWENTY ONE🌺

"Ta-da!" Was the first saying that greeted me when I opened the door.

"What are you guys doing here?" I couldn't help but ask.

"Wow! We come to your house for the first time and you ask what we're doing here not how we knew where your house was." Nnadzwa laughed.

I giggled as my gaze fell on Noah. "Even you?".

He glared at Sara and Nnadzwa briefly and brought his gaze back to me. "Well". He dragged. "My guys and I are having a once in a lifetime epic football match today against some dudes in SS3 and I'm their striker. Some dude bet on 200 naira that I wasn't going to play, mainly because I have a wound on my ank–".

I glanced at Sara, who nudged Noah in the ribs to shut him up. He glared at her and rolled his eyes. "But, I decided not to go to the epic football match because I noticed we didn't come to school today and you've been acting really wierd lately.".

I smiled slightly and I heard the sound of someone clearing their throat.
"Oh!" I said as I turned to see Hannah grinning behind me. "Nnadzwa, Sara, Noah, this is Hannah, my bestie. Hannah meet Nnadzwa, Sara and Noah.".

Hannah smiled widely as she waved her hands at the two girls but winked at Noah.

I glared at Hannah but she seemed oblivious to it and when I turned to the three, I shook my head in realization.

"Come in!" I said, and the three of them followed me as Hannah and I walked further into the house.

I gestured for them to sit as they turned and greeted mother, who seemed to be having a serious conversation with Jomafu. She smiled at them and nodded, then went back to talking.

Nnadzwa stood up to sit by my left as I sat on a wide sofa, and Sara gestured for Hannah to stand up, who gladly did and sat beside Noah.

You have got to be kidding me!

Nnadzwa put an arm over my shoulders while Sara grabbed my right hand and covered it with both her palms.

"Ejiro, are you okay?" Nnadzwa asked.

"Yeah, you've been acting really wierd lately, no, since you started this school and you dare not lie to us. It's already obvious something's wrong." Sara added.

I sighed and glanced at mum, then, I stood up and gestured for them to too. "Mother, we'll be in my room.".

I walked upstairs, leaving Noah with Hannah. If I could, I would've asked Noah to too, but mother would never let me take a boy to my room.

Once I had gotten upstairs, I turned and pushed the door knob and finally, walked into my room. I sat on my bed and stared at them as they gawked at my room, that's when I realized they were all in the school's uniform.

Sara sat beside me, doing the same thing again, while Nnadzwa closed the door gently and ran towards my bed.

"So, as we were saying." Sara started. "Something's definitely wrong, and it gets wierder when we think about you and Evan.".

"When you ran away from him that day we were so confused and the next thing we knew, you were in the infirmary. We just didn't understand what happened, and then, when we asked you said you just had a headache. Like, how would you expect us to believe that?" Nnadzwa asked.

I bit my lower lip nervously. I didn't want this now.

"Not to forget the major drama that happened outside the cafeteria. We were there Ejiro, we saw you crying and saying stuffs, before your brothers took you to the school infirmary." Sara said.

I looked at them perplexed. When did that happen?

Sara stood up and walked back and forth in front of me. "Then, you started acting like you were really scared of Evan and you lied to us about that letter. We know it's a lie because we've seen it in your locker up to three times saying similar things about you deserving to die. C'mon, that can't just be for 'Halloween'. And just last week, you pulled Evan out of class.".

"C'mon. Tell us what's wrong and why you've been fainting a lot lately. A problem shared is a problem half solved." Nnadzwa said.

Nnadzwa furrowed her eyebrows at me and Sara sat back down, staring at me with concern.

"I–". I tried to say, but that was the only word that left my mouth.

They deserved to know what's been happening, they've been left in the dark for too long. Still, how many people would I let myself be a burden to and worry about me continuously.

I felt a lump in my throat as I stared at the floor. "I.... ".

"You what, Ejiro. Speak up.".

I tried to hold back the tears threatening to fall. "I–I... ".

"Ejiro." Sara called.

I took in a deep breath and wiped away tears. "I can't tell you guys. You shouldn't know.".

"We're your friends, Ejiro and we know when something's bothering you. We want to help." Nnadzwa said, calmly as she caressed my cheek.

I stared at them angrily. That was the problem. I didn't want their help and I definitely didn't need it. I was tired of feeling helpless and vulnerable to everyone. Yes, I broke down a few times, still, I was tired of always feeling guilty.

Several times when I was little, mother had had sleepless nights because of me. Jomafu, Jokpa and her would stay up all night just to make sure I was over the nightmare for that night.

I'm a teenager now and I want to take care of my own problems. I'm so tired of making people worry and sacrifice things because of me. It just builds up the guilt in me.

I smacked Nnadzwa's hand of my cheeks. "I said I can't tell you guys! Friends don't force friends to do things they don't want to!" I cried.

Nnadzwa looked annoyed and Sara stared at me with pitiful eyes. I sighed. "Just go.".

"Fine!" Nnadzwa stormed out of the room, dragging Sara with her.

I lay down on my bed once they were out.

What a morning.