🌺 CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE🌺

Waking up on a Monday morning, the first thing that greeted me was the news of my father's arrival.

I walked down the stairs lazily after my normal morning school day routine, to meet the figures of my father and Step-mother sitting together on the dining table, along with Sharon.

"Good morning, son." I scoffed.

Oh now I'm your son.

I flung my bag over my shoulders and finally got downstairs.

"Morning...Dad." I said. "I'm off to school. And yes, I ate breakfast in my room." I lied.

I intentionally ignored the presence of Caroline and signaled for Sharon to come with me as I began walking towards the door.

"Evan!" Father called. I reluctantly turned my head around. "Yes?".

"Your father just came back from travel and the only thing you could say is good morning. You didn't greet your mother.".

I hated it so much whenever father called Caroline 'my mother'. She didn't even feel like an aunty to me, but rather, a cruel stranger that was brought in to live with us. I gritted my teeth angrily as I stared from him to Caroline.

"Dad, she is not–"

"Yes, she is! And you will treat her like one. She might not be your biological mother but she is your step mother. Treat her the way you usually treat Alicia." He said, referring to my late mum.

I stared at Dad angrily. "Are you trying to replace mum?!"

He sighed and walked closer to me, then when he was close enough, he rested his hand on my shoulder, and the sudden action caused me to flinch.

"I can never replace your mother." He whispered. "She's a very unique specie of human being that is irreplaceable. I brought Caroline so she could fill up that empty hole of motherly love in your heart. "

I rolled my eyes and glanced at Caroline, who pretended as if she had no idea of what was happening. I knew my Dad and the real reason he brought Caroline.

I remember how hurt I felt watching him walk into the house with Caroline, just a day after mother's death. He meant none of those things.

"Bye... Caroline. " I said, and walked out of the house, with Sharon following suit.

I unlocked the SUV and tossed the keys to my designated driver. I jumped in and sat in the back seat, with Sharon sitting beside me. The driver finally got in and started the ignition.

"Evan." Sharon called.

"Hmm?" I replied.

"How are things going with you and Ann?" She asked.

"Good, she thinks I'm... Not as bad as she thought." I said, as my gaze went over to the window. I watched as the driver opened the gate, went back into the car, drove out, closed the gate again, and finally went back in.

Poor guy! All that stress was because my father refused to hire a gateman, saying he had enough employees to pay already.

It wasn't like he didn't have the money, somehow, Caroline had brainwashed him into not hiring one.

Just how unreasonable was that?!

"..... You do it?"

I turned my head around in realization that someone was speaking to me.

"Sorry, Please repeat." I said. She sighed in frustration and spoke again.

"I said, How did you do it? Like, become friends with Ann. Yeah, those times I told you I was gonna speak to her, I never did. And I did the worst thing a person could ever do to befriend someone who already dislikes me.". She said.