🌺 CHAPTER THIRTY SIX 🌺

EVAN'S POV:

I jolted awake on hearing a loud honking sound, and my sleepy eyes immediately met Sharon's as they shimmered in excitement.

"Happy birthday!" She beamed as she skipped and hopped joyfully around my room.

I sat up straight on the bed and reached for my t-shirt as I rubbed my still sleepy eyes.

"What?" I asked, putting on my t-shirt.

"It's our birthday, we're fifteen today." She said in a sing-song manner.

"Oh." I said, then laid back on the bed and shut my eyes.

"You know we're going to school today right?" I heard her ask.

I groaned softly, still shutting my eyes.

"It's a school day. Stand up!" Came a slightly shaky voice.

Recognizing it immediately, I opened my eyes and jumped out of bed.

"Good morning... Mum. You're awake?" I asked, knowing fully well that she was supposed to be resting and not moving around the place by six O'clock in the morning.

"Do you usually wake up by six in the morning?" She asked as she let out a loud yawn.

"No." I said. "I'm just... tired." I shrugged.

"Guess what, mum." Sharon squealed. Mum slowly averted her gaze to Sharon's happy self as her facial expression held nothing but exhaustion.

"What?" She yawned again.

"Sharon, it's six in the morning. Can't you tell mother later?" I asked as I slowly led mum out of the room.

Sharon stared at me like I was insane and turned back to mum. "Evan and I are fifteen today." She said.

Mum came to a holt and she slowly turned around as she stared at both Sharon and I.

"You both are.. f-fifteen... today?" She asked.

Sharon nodded frantically as she skipped to mum.

"My babies are all grown up." Mum said, raising her arms up as she placed both hands on our cheeks. And I could've sworn, I saw a tear, just a tear, roll down mum's cheek.

"And I wasn't there to watch you grow up." She said again, pulling Sharon and I into a hug.

I had to admit, this felt so strange. I never imagined being embraced by my mother in a hug. For all I knew she was dead.

This wasn't dad.

This wasn't Caroline.

This wasn't one of my many aunties and uncles.

This was my mum. In the flesh.

I slowly brought my hand up and rubbed mum's back soothingly.

"You're here with us now." I said.

"If not for Caroline, I wouldn't have even known you guys were my kids." She continued.

Caroline? What did she do?

"How?" I asked.

She pulled Sharon and I away from the hug and looked down, staring at her glimmering black orbs. "I promise I'll tell you both." She said. "After school."

And with that being said, she waved her hands at us as a sign to get moving.

                                  •°•°•
Sharon clung to mother as all three of us stepped into the hellhole called a school.