Chapter 88

There was no hiding the truth from them.

"Girls," said Maddy, hoping they would be okay with leaving before things got too serious, "let's get you both to bed. We can talk about everything once you're ready to go to sleep."

"Mom?" said Anita shakily, turning to Elena. "Why are you crying?" The woman couldn't even manage a response. "Where's Dad?" She turned to Freya, and saw the pendant. "What is that?"

"Aunt Freya's pendant," said Hope, walking over to her. "Why is it broken?" She put her hand on Freya's shoulder, and suddenly the eldest Mikaelson gasped, and faced her niece.

"Did you see that?" she asked, and Hope nodded. "Did you feel it?"

"Uncle Elijah," said Hope, assenting. "He sounds so far away. And there was another voice. Another guy. He said 'help.'"

"Finn," murmured Kol. "That means they're both in there."

"Yes, I heard them," said Freya, causing Elena to bring Anita into a tight hug. "They're somewhere inside, but... Elijah's voice sounded distorted... broken... like radio static and I just heard... his screaming."

Anita began to bawl. "I want my dad," she whimpered into Elena's shoulder.

"I know, baby," she said unsteadily. "We're gonna get him back, and he's gonna be okay."

All around the room, phones began to ring. "It's happened," said Rebekah knowingly. "The vampires..."

They had a moment of silence. Elijah's sireline was gone. Dropped dead, as suddenly as it had happened when Finn and Kol had died, years and years ago. The remaining Strix, and other vampires both good and bad were gone permanently. Maddy found herself thinking of only one in particular. Tristan, wherever he was in that container in the ocean.

"I can fix the pendant in the morning," said Freya after about a minute of no one speaking. "We will need to heal Elijah's body, and recreate Finn's. Once we fix the pendant, it will not stay intact for long, given the strain it has been through. We will need to resurrect them both as soon as possible."

"We can work on bringing Finn's body back to life," offered Liv. "You all preserved Finn's ashes, it shouldn't be too difficult, considering how many of us there are to contribute to the spell."

"Jo, Meredith, and I can work to heal Elijah's body," offered Keelin. "With any luck, he'll be back with us by tomorrow night."

"Right now," said Kol, "we all need to rest."

Klaus went to put Hope to bed, while Elena carried Anita with her. Maddy went to check on Sofya, who had still not woken up. She brushed a hand over her head, and tried to enter her mind. But when she did, all she saw was darkness. And there was a painful sensation in her gut, which worried her. Was The Hollow tormenting Sofya, despite having exited her body?

"We're gonna fix you," murmured Maddy as she withdrew. "I swear it. You will be free of this monstrosity."

She sensed a presence behind her, and turned to see Kol. "Hey," she murmured. "Come to check on her, too?"

"I figured she'd be awake by now," he said. "I suppose not. We need her on her feet as quickly as possible. Now that The Hollow is back in her own body, we need every bit of intel we can get."

"How are we going to defeat her now?" whispered Maddy. "Isn't it going to be harder now that she's no longer a spirit?"

"Well," said Kol, "if we do resurrect Finn, he may be willing to be a second sacrifice to imprison The Hollow... given his tendency to wish death upon himself." He noticed that Maddy did not crack a smile. "Too soon?"