Chapter 90

February 20, 2026

Parenting a teenager was not easy.

They'd had peace for a long time. Nine years, to be exact. Where the biggest issue was where Hope's favorite shoes were, or where Anita's lip gloss had disappeared to, and not who was out to kill them.

Maddy, Klaus, and Hope had been living at the house beside the pasture, so that Hope could spend as much time with Theo as possible. It was still very close to the Compound, and Anita visited often, though she mostly resided at the Compound with her parents, and with her Uncle Finn and Aunt Lexi. Elena was now finishing up her residency at Tulane Medical Center, and would soon be an official pediatric surgeon.

Not long after Freya and Keelin became an official couple, the two moved to Lebanon so that Keelin could do some work there as a doctor. Kol had taken Bonnie to travel the world to study other forms of witchcraft, and soon after, Stefan and Valerie had done the same, only in different parts.

Enzo and Liv had moved into New Orleans, so that Liv could be closer to her sister. Damon and Meredith were still in Mystic Falls, but visited rather often, whenever Meredith had free time. They also popped into Texas often to visit Alaric and Jenna, who now had an eight-year-old son named 'Duke' (a name which was playfully suggested by Jo, which Jenna happened to like). Though he wasn't supernatural in any way, he liked to spend time with Hope and Anita, who would do all sorts of tricks to entertain him.

Rebekah had taken the cure two years prior, once Matt had become the owner of The Mystic Grill. They lived comfortably in a house down the street from it, and Maddy suspected that soon enough, they'd be getting an announcement in the mail that the couple was expecting their first child.

The peace in New Orleans was all due to the leaders of the four factions. Marcel still kept an eye on the vampires, who had had several new members flocking in in recent years. Vincent was still in charge of the witches, Hayley and Jackson were advocates for the wolves, and Cami was leading the human faction, as part of her O'Connell legacy (though, she was looking for someone to replace her, given that after all this time, she was finally feeling fully comfortable with her vampire self).

For the most part, they handled everything. Maddy and Klaus got to focus on Hope, who was now in high school, and beginning to worry about college as she prepared to finish her freshman year. Klaus often insisted that private school would be better, given how often Hope and Anita complained about ridiculous things they witnessed at lunch. But the girls were happy, and thus, they did not move them.

Ansel had become a far greater part of their lives in recent years. The two were growing up, and it was more and more of a concern each day that they might soon trigger their curses. Many of the Crescent wolves that were their age had either already triggered their curses, or were on a path to. Hope and Anita tried their hardest to not let their tempers get the best of them, but Hope especially had a tough time with it. Freya spoke to her every Saturday for hours at a time, helping her practice calming techniques so that her magic wouldn't get out of control. She no longer wore her bracelet, but sometimes, lightbulbs still exploded around her when someone ticked her off.

Klaus and Elijah had started teaching them to drive, and both girls participated in their after school soccer program, which left them able to focus on other things. Most days, they were too tired to let their anger overwhelm them. They were good students, and did their best in school, and were always as compassionate as they could be. Maddy wasn't worried that they'd trigger their curses intentionally. Her only fear was that there might be an accident, and that one or both of them would find themselves standing over a dead body.

"Mardi Gras is coming up," Maddy reminded them as she was driving them to school one morning. "Your dads are going to be taking you driving later in the day than usual, and pickup will be by the tennis courts, not by the front of the school."