Prologue

A young girl layed on the soft grass giggling as the willow tree above her tickled her nose with its branches. The willows surrounding them laughed too as several dryads danced through their branches tickling them as well.

"How can you all grow so big?" the girl asked looking up at the huge tree thoughtfully, "None of the trees at home are as big and grand as you are."

"Well child, the soil in Narnia is fresher and more nutrient rich than where you live," the willow laughed gently.

"Oh, that makes sense," she agreed nodding.

A sudden chilly breeze caused her to shiver and sit up. Confusion filled her as she shivered again against yet another icy cold breeze.

"That's strange. It's never cold in Narnia," the willow marveled straightening to its full height to look around the area.

Thick dark grey clouds began to fill the sky covering the sun and squelching the light and warmth. The young girl leapt to her feet as fluffy white snowflakes began to fall.

"It's way too early for winter," she announced feeling quite confused.

Suddenly a gigantic lion emerged from the trees. The girl curiously looked at the lion as the trees began to bow all around her. Something seemed to draw her into the lion. She walked forward almost hypnotically and reached out. The lion stood proud and tall remaining still as the girl's hand came in contact with his luscious golden mane.

"Hello child," the lion spoke startling the girl.

"You can talk?" she gasped backing away a little.

"You have met many animals that could speak. Why do I surprise you?" the lion chuckled, his deep laughter rumbling through the grove of trees.

She shrugged smiling at the massive lion.

"Who are you?" she asked finally seeming to notice the trees silence.

"I am known by many names," the lion answered, "You will know me as Aslan."

At the sound of his name, the chilly weather backed off and the snow slowed. For a minute it seemed hesitant to fall. Then all resumed as it once was.

"Come with me child," Aslan instructed turning away, "It's time you begin preparing for your role in this upcoming battle."

"Battle?" the girl exclaimed shocked.

The lion nodded continuing to walk through the grove. Following behind, the young girl contemplated the very idea of her playing any role in any battle. She was not skilled with any weapon and knew very little of battle strategies.

"I will train you to overcome your shortcomings and become your teacher for the next few months. Then you will rest until the time is right for you to awaken," Aslan answered her unasked questions as they walked.

He turned to the young girl who still looked doubtful.

"You will aid the four young heirs to the throne when they arrive," he informed her, "But for now, training."

A glittering silver sword appeared in the girl's hand. She gasped gazing down at the sword. Aslan watched her with a smile. Her eyes turned from the magnificent sword to the great lion.

"Let's begin," she stated nodding.