Part II: Chapter 1

A year later...

Aewryn sat by the window in the library, a book open on her lap and a mug of hot chocolate in her hands. Her focus, however, was on the drab scenery outside. It had been raining for the past two days and the young girl had all but refused to leave the window. her book had been on the same page for the past two hours.

Meanwhile Professor Kirke walked passed the library and peeked in for the fifth time that morning. Each time he'd passed, she'd been in the exact same position: looking out the window, book open in her lap, mug in her hands. Dark circles plagued the young girl's eyes from lack of sleep. Professor Kirke sighed before returning to his office.

"You're tea, sir," Mrs. Macready said as she entered the room with a tray.

"Thank you," the professor replied distractedly.

She paused on the way out of the door.

"Are you alright, Professor?" she asked.

"I am. It's just...I would imagine that after all that time away, Aewryn would be excited to be back home. Yet, she hardly speaks, hardly eats. She just sits in the library all day. I-I don't know what to do about it," he sighed shaking his head.

"Well if the story the children told you was true, the whole living in that Narnia world, growing up and becoming kings and queens and such. Then she's a queen who lost her kingdom, her home. She's also a mother that's lost her child. That is a lot of weight sitting on the shoulders of a little girl."

He listened to her thoughtfully.

"So what do I do to help her?" he asked.

"She needs to be with her family and most importantly her husband. The two of them can help each other heal," Mrs. Macready answered softly knowing that her answer was not one he wanted to hear.

Professor Kirke sighed looking down. He just got her back but now he has to give her back up. It still hurt that he'd missed watching her grow up the first time. And now he was giving up the chance to watch her grow up again.

"I-I'll think on it," he finally said.

She nodded and left him to his thoughts. He sighed and pulled out a piece of paper to write a letter.

Two weeks later at breakfast, Aewryn sat silently poking at her eggs. Mrs. Macready sighed not wanting to bother the girl but silently begging her to eat. Professor Kirke walked in with a small white envelope in hand. He set it beside Aewryn. She glanced at it with a slight frown.

"Open it," he said with a smile.

She gave him a confused look but picked up the envelope and opened it. She scanned the paper which was written in the scrawly handwriting of a young male. The two adults watched as a smile slowly formed on the young girl's face. She gasped looking up at her grandfather.

"Is this for real?" she asked.

"Yes, you leave in two days," he nodded.

Aewryn jumped up and hugged him.

"Thank you, Grandpapa, thank you!" she cried before running to her room to begin packing.

That night before bed, she read over the letter twice more. The letter had been written by Peter telling her that his mother would love to have Aewryn join them in Finchley until the school year starts. All five children would then attend the same school that fall. Things could not be any better.