Part II: Chapter 4

I left the house a few minutes before the others so that I could make sure we had the right train schedule. I only got halfway down the street when the sound of my name caused me to pause. I turned to see Peter jogging to catch up with me. In his hand was his suitcase and around his neck was a silver chain from which his wedding band hung. His hand slipped into mine and we continued down the street.

We entered the train station only to find it already bustling with students waiting for the train. Amidst the noise and chaos, the sound of a baby crying reached my ears. I paused looking around for the source. Peter gave me a questioning look as I looked around. My eyes finally landed on a seemingly abandoned carriage with a squirming baby girl inside sobbing.

"Aewryn!" Peter cried in alarm as I let go of his hand and my suitcase and rushed over to the baby.

My hands acted on their own accord, reaching out and picking the small thing up. Cradling her against my chest, I swayed lightly back and forth shushing her. A Narnian lullaby came to mind and I began to hum it softly. Her cries softened and then paused as she seemed to be listening. Her tiny fingers reached out towards me. With a soft smile, I let her grab onto one of my fingers as I continued to rock her and hum.

Her small brown eyes remained trained on my face as I sang softly. A sense of calm washed over the pair of us. The noise from the station faded to oblivion. A smile tugged at my lips as I gazed into her precious little eyes.

Peter

I followed in the path that Aewryn had disappeared with both of our suitcases in hand. For a moment, I thought I'd lost her entirely. Then a familiar beautiful tune floated through the noise of the train station. My eyes landed on Aewryn holding a small bundle wrapped in a white blanket with a gold lace trim.

I felt my heart stop as she sang the most beautiful Narnian lullaby I'd ever heard. As she sang, the world fell away into the background. Her hair seemed to grow longer as her clothing changed to a long pale blue dress. She seemed completely entranced by the baby and her lullaby. Something hit my shoulder causing me to lose my grip on my suitcase which hit the ground startling me out of a trance.

"Watch it!" some guy about my age barked as he and his friends strutted by.

I frowned glaring at them before grabbing the suitcase. When I turned back to Aewryn, she was looking up at one of the guys with a slightly startled look. In her arms, the baby was fast asleep. She looked around almost fearfully. Gritting my teeth, I walked over briskly.

"Excuse me, gentlemen," I hissed.

Aewryn

My heart hammered in my chest as Aspen stood over me with his friends at his side. He had the same gentle smile on his face from when we ran into each other in the park.

"What're the odds of meeting each other again?" he chuckled lightly, "Think it's fate?"

"No," I answered, "Simply coincidence."

He smiled reaching out towards me. I stepped back, the baby still in my arms. I turned and sat her back in her carriage. A woman appeared from inside the store with a thankful smile. I returned her smile before turning back to the boys who were suddenly much closer. My eyes searched for Peter in the crowds of people passing by.

"Excuse me, gentlemen."

I nearly sighed aloud in relief at the sound of his voice. All three turned and stepped back at the angry look on Peter's face. He pushed between them setting our suitcases down and wrapping an arm around my waist.

"So this is what the little one meant by taken," Aspen mused with a frown.

He no longer was the same kind young man. In just a second, he'd become rather annoyed and aggressive looking.

"Peter," I murmured pulling him away.

"If I were you, I'd walk around right now and never speak to her again," he snapped still glaring at the three.

"Why don't you listen to your little lass," one of the other guys snorted, "Clearly she's got more sense than you."

"Peter," I warned in his ear, "Think with your head. Don't be irrational. They are merely children."

"And children should be put in their place," he grumbled.

Before I could stop him, he stepped forward and threw a punch. The punch was solid striking Aspen directly in the face. He stumbled backwards tripping over his own feet and hitting the ground. I gasped in horror as his eyes darkened.

"You just made a big mistake, blondie."

The next thing I knew the four boys were going at it. A crowd surrounded us cheering the fight on. Peter was severely outnumbered though. His eyes met mine over Aspen's shoulder, an apology in them the minute he saw the disapproving look on my face. A hand grabbed my shoulder and I jumped. I turned to see Edmund.

"What's he gotten himself into this time?" he groaned.

I sighed shaking my head. He rushed forward to help Peter. The fight didn't last much longer seeing as a cop ran over to break up the fight. He grabbed Aspen and Peter by their collars and shoved them in opposite directions.

"Act your age!" he spat before storming off.

I sighed once again walking over to Peter. He had a small cut on his cheekbone that was bleeding lightly. Taking a small handkerchief from my pocket, I dabbed away the blood carefully. His sharp blue eyes trained on my face but I refused to look him in the eye. Susan and Lucy came over and got Edmund. We all walked away from the scene of the fight and walked to a nearby bench. I sat next to Lucy as Peter and Edmund argued about the reason for the fight.

"So you hit him?" Edmund cried in exasperation.

"No, he hit on Aewryn. Then I hit him," Peter stated flopping down on the other side of the bench.

"That doesn't give you a right to pick a fight," Susan snapped.

"I'm just sick of being treated like a kid," Peter huffed glaring at the ground.

"You are a kid," Edmund stated bluntly.

That just made Peter's scowl grow. I shook my head standing and walking over to Peter. He looked up at me with a softer look. His hands reached for mine. I let him take my hands. He gently pressed a light kiss to each hand then pulled me into his lap.

"You don't have to fight your way through everything, Peter. Sometimes the high road is the way that will get you where you are going. What would Aslan think of your behavior?" I chided softly.

"Aslan isn't here," he coldly replied.

Suddenly Lucy jumped out crying out. We all looked at her in confusion.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Something pinched me," she stated with a slight frown.

I felt something jab my side abruptly causing me to leap off of Peter's lap with a yelp. Moments later he jumped up with a frown.

"Ed!" he snapped.

"I didn't do any- OW!" Edmund cried jumping up as well.

Susan sprung up right after rubbing her arm. My eyes met Lucy's as a smile formed on both of our lips.

"Is it just me or did that feel like..." I trailed off.

"Magic?" Lucy finished.

Suddenly the wind picked up. All around us people continued walking and going about their business as if nothing was happening. The wind picked up even more flinging my hair in my face. I brushed it away quickly.

"Grab hands," Peter cried grabbing my hand.

We all linked up as a train came racing by far faster than usual. Bricks began to fall down and revealed a large archway. On the other side of the tunnel was sand and blue skies. We walked forward gazing in away as Finchley disappeared and we found ourselves in a beautiful forest.

"Narnia!" I gasped turning in a circle.

Crystal clear blue water spread out in front of us.

"Last one in is a rotten egg!" Lucy exclaimed rushing forward.

Laughing and yanking off excess clothing, we all ran forward. We went crashing into the gorgeous water squealing. I laughed as Peter picked me up spinning me around. A light had returned to his eyes that I hadn't seen in months. We played in the water for what felt like hours enjoying its coolness.

"Hey guys..."

We all paused turning to see Edmund was staring at something in the near distance. Upon a hill top stood the remains of what must have been a massive building or castle.

"I don't remember there being ruins in Narnia."