Part II: Chapter 13

Aewryn

I knew things would not last but I had a fleeting hope that they might last as long as they once did. Within two days time, Aslan called both Peter and I to him. I left Percy with Susan and Caspian knowing that it would be best if he were not there. Peter's hand slipped into mine as we joined the great lion on a walk around the palace grounds.

"You have already sensed this haven't you, Aewryn?" Aslan asked gently.

"Yes," I sighed, "I'd hoped it would happen later rather than sooner."

Peter looked at both of us confused.

"The time has come Peter, for you, Aewryn, and your siblings to return to your land," Aslan explained, "However, you, Susan, and Aewryn have learned all that you can from Narnia. The lessons that were laid before you have been learned and now it is time for you to put them into practice in your world."

"What about Percy?" Peter frowned.

I looked to Aslan fearful of his answer.

"The magic that returns you all home will affect him a bit differently," he sighed, "It is not safe for him to make the journey until he is older. It is best for him to stay here with Caspian."

I closed my eyes as he spoke the answer I'd been afraid of. Peter held me against him tightly.

"We can't leave him again," he objected.

"I know. There is another option. I do not believe you will like this one either," Aslan continued and I could feel his gaze on me, "As his mother, Aewryn can stay until he is older. Then both can make the journey back whenever your siblings do."

Peter's grip on me tighten. I opened my eyes as tears began to sting them. Aslan looked sadly at the two of us.

"Can we talk about it?" I asked shakily.

He nodded and walked away. I felt my legs give out as soon as he was out of sight. Peter caught me then moved to a small alcove that had a small bench. By now tears were coursing down my cheeks. I couldn't seem to control them at all. I buried my head in his chest crying softly. He held me and from the wetness I felt hit my hair, I could tell he was crying too.

"I don't want to lose you," I cried, "I can't- I can't do this without you."

"I can't lose either of you," he responded holding me even tighter, "I don't want to have to choose."

I nodded in agreement clinging to him even tighter. We both knew what would happen next. It was inevitable.

**********************************************************************************************

Everyone gathered in the square. A cheerful vibe floated through the air but I felt disconnected from it all. I held stood beside Peter who held Percy tightly to his chest. Aslan strode forward.

"The Telmarine race came not from Narnia but from an island with a doorway that leads to the realm where the kings and queens are from," Aslan announced, "I offer the Telmarines present a choice: to stay in Narnia as Narnian citizens or to return to that island and that world where you can begin a new life."

He breathed over the twisted tree near the edge of the square. It unraveled itself to form a circular gateway. Gasps and murmurs rang out through the crowd watching.

"How do we know it's not a trap?" someone called out.

Edmund snorted rolling his eyes.

"Sire, I will take six of my best men through to show it is not a trap," Reepicheep offered.