Part II: Chapter 10

Aewryn

I awoke to a loud clang. Sitting up carefully, I found my back did not explode with excruciating pain this time. My brow furrowed as I felt bandages shift when I sat up. I looked around the cell to see a dress hanging in the corner. I stood slowly.

"What is this for?" I asked.

"Her Ladyship came down early this morning and brought it for you and dressed your wounds. She also hid your sword in the folds of the skirt. We move out in a few hours. Miraz wants to attack as soon as possible," Alias answered turning away.

I nodded walking to the dress. I changed as quickly as I could without causing myself too much pain. Under the dress was a brush. I murmured a quiet thank you to Miraz' wife. Just as I finished brushing my hair which caused horrendous ropes of stinging pain to roll down my back in waves, the door opened to another guard. He gestured to me then nodded to Alias. Alias unlocked the door and stepped into the cell. He bound my wrists tight enough to not allow for easy escape though not tight enough to hurt.

He then led me through the winding halls of the castle to the courtyard. I squinted against the harsh light of the sun. After a moment, my vision adjusted and I could see. Miraz stood in front of a massive army, one far greater than anyone the Narnians have ever fought. He turned as Alias led me forward. I could feel the weight of the soldiers' eyes as I walked.

"Ah, little princess, so great of you to join us," he mocked with a cruel smirk.

I stared at him blankly. He would not get even a moment's pleasure by making me look like a fool. When I stood firm under his gaze and did not speak, his confidence seemed to dwindle. The general nudged his arm. Miraz resumed his cruel glare and turned to his army.

"This Narnian wench will lead us to those ghastly creatures or risk death," his voice boomed across the courtyard.

I laughed aloud drawing the attention of everyone. Miraz glowered but I continued to smile at him.

"I have faced much worse than death. Please, do your worst," I retorted before looking to the soldiers, "But I offer but one warning to those who dare to harm a Queen of Narnia, chosen by Aslan himself."

A shiver ran through the crowd. So they did know...

"Aslan? An empty name here."

"Yet your men tremble."

Miraz' glower increased as I smiled.

"It's best you stop talking Miraz. I am not known as Aewryn the Wise for nothing."

Edmund

I nodded in agreement with Susan at her suggestion to search out Aslan now. Suddenly a squirrel raced into the room.

"Your Highnesses! Miraz' army has been spotted marching this way," he said quickly.

Shock rippled throughout the room. Peter's brow furrowed.

"We need more time," he sighed, "How are we supposed to prepare?"

"I have a suggestion."

We all looked to Caspian who up until now had remained silent. He glanced at Peter who nodded for him to continue.

"Miraz may hold off if we attempt an old tradition."

He quickly explained the duel where Peter would challenge Miraz to a one on one battle to end the fight. At the same time, Lucy and Susan will go to find Aslan. We had a back up plan in case things did not go as well.

"Why are we sending a little girl out on her own?" Trumpkin objected immediately.

"I was supposed to go with Aewryn," Lucy started pausing when Peter looked down.

I put a hand on his shoulder. He didn't look up still. Clearing her throat Lucy continued.

"But Susan will be with me instead. Besides, I have a feeling Aslan knows we're coming. We will be safe," she finished.

"Then it's settled," I nodded.

"Edmund, you will deliver the challenge," Caspian said as one of the fauns came forward with a sheet of parchment and a pen.

Peter took it and began writing with Caspian's help. I watched with a frown as he struggled to hold the pen and focus. After he finished, he handed it to me. I gave him a questioning look as I rolled it. He shook his head signifying he didn't want to talk. With a sigh, I turned to one of the Narnians and gestured for him to accompany me.

We walked side by side across the expanse of the field in between the How and Miraz' army. A tent was set up in front of of the awaiting army. We entered to see the men of Miraz' court sitting around the perimeter of a large table. Miraz raised an eyebrow at our presence. Behind him stood Aewryn, her wrists bound in front of her. Her skin was pale and dark circles plagued her eyes but her eyes were their typical sharp green and she stood tall.

"A challenge to King Miraz by High King Peter the Magnificent," I began to read.

As soon as I finished, Miraz began looking to his advisors for the proper response.

"Why do you come to me Prince Edmund-"

"King," I interjected.

He blinked in surprise. Aewryn smirked.

"Excuse me?" he spluttered.

"It's King Edmund. Just king though. Peter's the High King," I explained.

Aewryn barely stifled a laugh when I winked at her.

"Well then, King Edmund," I straightened up, "What makes you think I, the one with the clear upper hand, would accept such a challenge."

"It limits the amount of bloodshed. A one on one to end it all. A brave way to go out, might I add," I replied.

The advisors began murmuring amongst themselves at my insinuation. Miraz narrowed his eyes.

"It is not a question of bravery," he stated.

"So you are bravely refusing to fight a swordsman half your age?"

"His majesty does not refuse!" General Glozelle jumped in.

I held up my hands in surrender with a slight smirk. I glanced at Aewryn who rolled her eyes with a smile. Miraz looked at Glozelle angrily but nodded when he realized all attention was on him.

"Yes. I accept," he finally said.

"Great, I will notify Peter. Now for the other reason I came."

He slumped in his chair a bit looking annoyed. It was hard not to take pleasure in his annoyance.

"High Queen Aewryn will come with me," I stated.

"Excuse me?!" Miraz spluttered as several of his advisors appeared shock at the bold statement.

Faster than any of them could comprehend, I unsheathed my sword and leveled it with Miraz' throat so close the tip was brushing the skin. His eyes widened in shock as my smile faded into a dead stare.

"She goes free, immediately," I ordered, "Your men can not move fast enough to save you and I assure you, the Narnians will not take kindly to their king being harmed and I can most definitely assure you that you will all be slaughtered if you lay a hand on their queen."

A tense silence followed. Then Miraz nodded to the guard beside Aewryn. The guard cut the ropes from her wrists and she walked over to me. I sheathed my sword once she was at my side.

"Good day gentlemen."