Part II: Chapter 2

I hummed bouncing my knee. My fingers toyed with the chain around my neck with my two rings as I absently looked out the window. Time seemed to pass slowly but I was too excited to mind. A soft knock on the train car door drew my attention away from the passing scenery. I looked over to see a boy about my age and a little girl standing in the doorway.

"Can we sit here?" he asked.

"Of course," I nodded moving my case from the other seat opposite me.

They shuffled in and sat down setting their suitcases by their feet. I smiled at the little girl as she hugged her stuffed lion toy to her chest. Her large brown eyes seemed to follow my every movement.

"My name's Aewryn. What's your name?" I asked gently.

"Katherine," she answered before pointing to the boy beside her, "That's Alexander."

"Well it's nice to meet you both," I replied with another smile.

She smiled back but Alexander was too focused on the book in his lap. I chuckled softly and looked back out the window. My hand absently moved back to the chain continuing to fiddle with the rings.

"What's that around your neck?" Katherine asked after a moment.

"Oh just my rings," I answered turning back to her.

"I have a ring too," she exclaimed pulling a small chain from its place tucked in her shirt, "It was my mum's. Is that your mum's ring?"

"No. It's mine," I laughed.

Her little brow furrowed at that.

"But you're too young to be married," she stated.

"That's why I wear them around my neck rather than on my hand. Most people would think the worst because they do not understand. It's a long story."

"Well this is a long train ride."

I laughed shaking my head.

"I'm guessing you want to hear the whole story?"

She nodded her head vigorously excitement filling her eyes. I smiled.

"It all started about a year ago, when the war was getting bad and most families were sending their children to the countryside where it was safer. One family of four siblings wound up at my grandpapa's house. They were the Pevensies..."

By the time I'd told the whole story, Alexander had looked up from his book and was listening too. He looked a bit skeptical but didn't interrupt as I told Katherine all of the adventures the Pevensies and I went on as the Kings and Queens of Narnia. When I finished Katherine took a deep breath.

"Wow," she breathed a smile on her face, "That sounds amazing."

"It was," I laughed, "I'm actually headed to Finchley right now to meet up with the Pevensies."

"Hey, we're getting off in Finchley too! Can we meet them?" she gasped looking to her brother.

He shrugged not seeming to believe my story one bit.

"I guess so," was all he said before going back to his book.

The next stop was ours. I took my suitcase in one hand and Katherine's in the other. Alexander trailed behind us as we got off the train. I looked around the crowded train station trying to spot a familiar face. However, I was too short to see over most of the people. Suddenly I was tackled in a tight hug causing me to stumble.

"Lucy!" I cried laughing as I hugged her back.

"You're here! You're here! You're finally here!" she exclaimed jumping up and down.

We both laughed and hugged each other again. When she'd calmed down, I grabbed Katherine who had hidden behind me at the sight of the excitable girl.

"This is Katherine, we met on the train. Katherine, this is Lucy Pevensie," I introduced them.

Both girls smiled at each other and waved. They were about the same age so I had a feeling they'd get along.

"That's my older brother, Alexander," Katherine said pointing to the boy who once again had his head buried in a book.

"He reminds me of Susan," Lucy remarked before gasping, "Oh, right! The others are over there. C'mon!"

She grabbed Katherine's hand and ran off. I nudged Alexander to catch his attention before following after the two younger girls. The crowd parted finally to reveal a bench with two dark haired teens sitting on it. The third, a blond teen, was pausing anxiously behind the bench. My heart fluttered at the sight of him.

"Susan! Edmund! Peter!" Lucy shouted catching their attention.

They all looked up in surprise at the sight of her running over with another little girl.

"Lu, we told you to find Aewryn," Edmund chuckled rolling his eyes, "Who's this?"

The girls began introductions right as Peter looked up over the crowd again. His eyes widened when they met mine. A huge smile formed on his lips and I found myself smiling just as big as I ran to him. He ran towards me meeting me in the middle. We collided in a tight hug. I pressed my face into his chest laughing and crying at the same time. His arms tightened around me as he laughed too. I turned my head to look up at him, and his lips met mine immediately. A small sigh left my lips at the comfortable feeling. His hand moved to cup my cheek pulling me closer as we kissed.

"Alright, alright! We get it! You're in love and you missed each other. Please stop."

We pulled apart laughing at Edmund's sarcastic tone. Peter pressed one last kiss to my forehead before letting go of me entirely. I missed his embrace the second he did. I smiled, however, turning to hug Susan and then Edmund. Lucy and Katherine were playing a game of hopscotch now using a pebble they'd found. I smiled at them. I missed this.

***********************************************************************************************

That night I tossed and turned for what seemed like hours. My mind refused to settle. It swirled and dance and dipped with an array of emotions and thoughts. Finally giving up, I slipped out of bed quietly and left the room I now shared with Susan. The wood floors were cold beneath my bare feet but I didn't mind. I wandered around the house a bit before ending up in the front sitting room. I looked out the window to the dimly lit street with a small sigh.

"Couldn't sleep either?" a soft voice asked from the darkness.

I turned to see Peter step out of the shadows. I smiled nodding. He walked over pulling me into his arms. I closed my eyes leaning into him with a small sigh.

"I miss him," I whispered swallowing the large lump that formed in my throat.

"I know," he said softly kissing my temple, "We'll be back someday."

"I don't want to wait..."

He stayed silent but I knew he agreed. His arms tightened around me as tears trickled down my cheeks. I didn't even try to stop them. After a few minutes of being there, we walked back upstairs to our rooms. I hesitated to enter the room however. Peter paused noticing. He held out his hand with a small smile. Without a word, I took it and let him lead me to his room. The two of us laid down in his bed just like we used to do.

"I love you," Peter murmured as I pressed my face into his neck taking slow deep breaths.

His familiar scent calmed my mind and my body and I relaxed into him.

"I love you," I said with a smile finally closing my eyes and drifting off to sleep.