Part I: Chapter 12

Aewryn

"This matter needs to be addressed first," I stated pointing to the charter on the table in front of me.

"But we really need to discuss the issue of the broken beaver dams," Beaver snapped.

"Yes, but wouldn't it be more logical to fix the flooding issue first. If we do that then we have lowered the probability of it occurring again," Susan cut in with a pointed look.

He sighed thinking it over. Then he nodded and left the room. I sighed rubbing my temples as I sat down.

"Thank you for helping me with this," Susan sighed, "I don't think I could've handled all of these issues on my own."

"It's not a problem. To be quite frank with you, I doubt anyone could have dealt with all that," I chuckled shaking my head.

She laughed nodding in agreement. Suddenly the door swung open and in walked Peter and Edmund. I smiled at the pair as they walked over. Susan nudged my arm slightly. I turned to her with a raised eyebrow.

"Watch how he won't even acknowledge me while you're here," she whispered.

I rolled my eyes at her. Sure enough though Peter completely ignored her presence walking over to me first.

"Lucy said I might find you here," he commented, "There are a few foreign dignitaries from a newly formed country who have asked to meet with you. They are interested in formal training for their army and thought it best to ask an expert."

I chuckled as Susan rolled her eyes and stood.

"Well I'm sure Susan and I can take a short break from handling civilian matters," I answered giving him a soft smile.

He barely glanced at his sister before offering his arm to me. Edmund and Susan both tried to stiffle laughter. We headed to the main entrance with Edmund and Susan trailing behind. Eventually Lucy joined us as well. We reached the palace gates just as a group of men on horseback arrived. The two in the very front dismounted and approached us on foot.

"Greetings," the elder of the two men called as tehy neared, "We come to discuss the military discipline so well taught by the head of your army. This is General Magnus of our army."

He gestured to the younger man who walked up beside him. The general bowed deeply.

"Aewryn is our expert in all military tactics and training. She will be assisting you," Peter said looking at me with a smile.

General Magnus held out his arm with a small smile.

"Shall we discuss this on a tour of the castle grounds?" he suggested.

"Yes, we'll kill two birds with one stone," I nodded letting go of Peter's arm to loop mine around General Magnus'.

"Will you be joining us for tea?" Lucy asked suddenly.

I held back a laugh at the hopeful look in her eyes as she looked at the general. Granted he was handsome but my heart belonged to Peter. Edmund and Peter seemed to notice her look as well and rolled their eyes.

"If it would please your Majesties," General Magnus answered smiling at her.

She nodded vigorously with a huge smile. I didn't bother to hold back my laughter this time. She blushed looking at her feet as the others laughed too. The four siblings headed back into the castle with the older man. General Magnus and I began walking towards the South Garden as we discussed his current training plans.

"I never knew that High King Peter was married," General Magnus commented suddenly.

"Married?!" I gasped in confused and surprise.

"Oh, I'm sorry betrothed?" he corrected himself.

"Oh goodness!" I laughted, "Peter's not betrothed to anyone."

"Forgive me, I just thought that you two were-" he trailed off with an embarrassed, "It seemed as if you two were intended seeing as you both seem very comfortable with each and the way he looks at you- I apologize for my assumptions."

"Oh it's alright, really. You just took me by surprise," I replied shaking my head with a smile.

"Does that mean you are single?" he asked glancing over at me.

"No," I answered smiling, "I may not be betrothed to anyone but my heart is taken."

His face fell momentarily but he quickly tried to cover it.

"Queen Susan, however, is open to courtship," I added.

He chuckled shaking his head.

"She is a bit to high for me to reach," he said, "I could not rival the lords and princes that fall to her feet."

I smiled softly looking over at him. Such a kind and pure heart. We continued our walk and discussion. Soon it was time for tea. As he and his escort prepared to leave, I called one of the naiads over.

"Send them back with a satchel of gold, seven stools of our finest fabrics, and some seeds from our garden that they might plant them in their country to help give the land a start," I instructed softly.

She nodded and hurried off. I watched the pair leave from one of the large castle windows. A strong set of arms moved around my waist causing a smile to appear on my lips. I turned my head to meet a pair of sparkling blue eyes.

"Why did you give them those things?" Peter asked gently.

"His heart is pure and his intentions good. They will be a good ally in the years to come," I answered turning to look back at the now specks on the horizon.

"It's not because of General Pretty Boy?"

I snorted looking back at him. He had a slight smirk on his face. I rested my palm on his cheek shaking my head.

"No. I have something better than a general anyway," I responded.

He smiled leaning down and kissing me gently. I smiled kissing him back.

"I love you, Aewryn."

"I love you too, Peter."