Part II: Chapter 8

"When will we search for Aslan?" Lucy asked as I tightened my armor.

She looked so much smaller with Percy on her hip. I held in a chuckle at the sight.

"If all goes well, you and I will go tomorrow morning," I answered.

"And if things don't?" she asked.

"We'll go tonight," I chuckled sheathing my sword.

She smiled as well bouncing Percy a bit. He giggled and grabbed her face with his pudgy hands. She kissed his face making him laugh even more.

"Lu...can we have a second?"

We both looked up to see Peter in the doorway to the room we were in. She looked between us briefly before nodding and leaving with Percy. I let out a small sigh beginning to braid my hair.

"You are upset with me," Peter asked though it came out more like a statement.

"You are acting so foolish," I responded simply, "You are not acting like a king, but rather a school boy with a bad temper."

He frowned opening his mouth to speak but paused and closed it again.

"I don't understand...where is Aslan? We've never had to do this alone," he muttered shaking his head.

My eyes softened as I finished the braid and tied a small strip of pale green cloth around the base. He stood a few feet from me and from this perspective, I could see how much this was weighing him down. The curve of his posture, the dip of his shoulders. I walked over and gently took his face in my hands.

"We are not alone," I reminded him gently, "Aslan knows what he is doing and he is testing us. The teacher cannot help the student during the test. We must be patient, persevere, and have faith. We will reclaim Narnia."

His warm hands moved over my wrists holding on lightly. He closed his eyes leaning into my hands before drawing them from his face to press a light kiss to my knuckles.

"What would I do without you?" he murmured pulling me closer.

"You'd get into a bunch of unnecessary fights and Edmund would always have to save you," I teased smirking.

He rolled his eyes and kissed the tip of my nose. Then his face grew serious once again.

"Stay close to me alright? I don't want you out of my sight," he ordered.

I smiled nodding.

"I'll be alright Peter," I promised.

"You haven't fought in a battle since several years before Percy was born," he reminded gently.

"Yes but I disarmed Caspian with a baby on my hip," I retorted smirking up at him.

He chuckled at the memory nodding.

"He doesn't really count though."

We both laughed as his stubborn side came back out. Edmund suddenly appeared in the doorway, dressed in his armor with a sword at his side.

"It's time."

*****************************************************************************************

We rode in the dark towards the foreboding castle. I took a deep breath glancing to my left where Susan rode a dark stallion.

"I have a bad feeling," she murmured.

"Same. I do not believe Aslan goes with us in this," I answered quietly.

"Will you tell Peter?"

"No. He must learn."