Part I: Chapter 2

Aewryn

"Are you sure there isn't anything I can get you, dear?" Mrs. Beaver asked gently.

"No, I'm fine," I answered shaking my head.

It's been almost two days since Lucy left and only a day since the wolves came. Mr. Tumnus had allowed me to stay the night with him. The next morning I went to run a few errands for him. When I came back, the house had been destroyed and he was gone. I didn't even bother to read the charge that was nailed to the wall. I did find a note left for me telling me to go to the Beavers if anything were to ever happen.

So that's where I was now. I had gotten lost on the way, but luckily a few Narnian birds found me and led me to the right place. Mrs. Beaver had taken care of me helping ward off the cold while Mr. Beaver went back to check the wreckage. It had been almost four hours since we'd seen him.

"I hope he's alright," Mrs. Beaver worried pacing around the kitchen.

I gave her a sympathetic look before putting a hand on her small shoulder. She stopped and turned to me.

"It's going to be okay. I'm sure he'll be back soon," I encouraged her.

As if in response to my words, the crunching of feet on snow approached. Mrs. Beaver hurried outside.

"What took so long Beaver? I've been worried sick," she exclaimed, "If I find out you've been with Badger again..."

She trailed off suddenly. My curiosity peeked when she said:

"Those are certainly not badgers."

I stood discarding the warm blanket wrapped around me and stepped outside of the dam. Mr. Beaver stood with four children behind him. I gasped as I recognized the youngest one. Her eyes widened and she ran to me.

"Aewryn!" Lucy cried hugging my tightly.

I hugged her back laughing at her enthusiasm.

"You're alright! I thought maybe they got you too," she said pulling back.

I knelt in the snow in front of her smiling.

"No, I was out running errands. Besides even if I had been there I would not have let them take me. I am your protector after all," I answered giving her another warm smile.

She hugged me again though this one was much shorter.

"I never thought I'd live to see this day," Mrs. Beaver cried smiling up at the four.

I laughed smiling as I stood back up. They were here. The rightful heirs to the Narnian throne had arrived.

"My fur! You couldn't give me ten minutes warning," she then cried frowning at her husband.

"I would've given you a week if I thought it would help," Mr, Beaver chuckled in response.

The four siblings laughed at his comemnt and I couldn't help but laugh as well.

"I think you look lovely, Mrs. Beaver," I commented.

"Thank you," she replied smiling at me before turning to the four siblings, "Come inside. I'll get some food for all of you and you can be with civilized company."

She threw another angered look at her husband before waddling inside. I cover my mouth with my hand to hide a giggle. Mr. Beaver rolled his eyes before following her into the dam. Lucy followed after him smiling. Her smile was so contagious, in seconds I was smiling as well. The feeling of being watched caused me to turn my head. The eldest of the boys stared directly at me with a small smile on his face. I blushed a little turning away and following the other two children.