Part I: Chapter 6

Aewryn

My feet were starting to get sore. The only thing keeping me going at this point is the thought of seeing Aslan again. By now it had warmed up enough that we could all take off our coats. My clothes were mostly dry now after being in the warming sun so long. But the sun wasn't hot or bothersome, if anything it was a fantastic change from the frigid cold. More snow had melted by now allowing more and more plants to pop up. A few trees even began growing leaves again. Right as I was close to suggesting a short break, we came to the top of a large hill. Directly below us was Aslan's camp!

"We made it," Susan sighed looking as relieved as I felt.

"C'mon let's go!" Lucy cried grabbing my hand and racing down the hill.

I laughed running after her. As soon as we reached the camp though, Lucy paused. I frowned glancing down at her before looking back at the camp. Then it clicked. She was scared of the Narnian creatures. With a small smile, I squeezed her hand. She looked up at me.

"They are safe," I reassured her walking forward now much slower.

Peter, Susan, and the Beavers had caught up with us by now. Togther we walked into the camp. On both sides of us, the creatures parted staring in awe.

"Why are they staring so much?" Susan murmured with a frown.

"Maybe because you look weird to them," Lucy pointed out.

I laughed causing the older girl to glare at us both. Suddenly the crowd parted completely revealing a massive lion with golden fur that shone in the sun.

"Aslan!" I cried running forward and hugging him.

His deep chuckle rumbled through the camp as he nuzzled my face gently.

"You have completed the task set before you. Good work, little one," he said gently as I stepped away.

He glanced over my shoulder at the Pevensies. A frown formed on his features.

"I thought there were four of you," he stated.

The happy mood dissipated instantly.

"He is with the White Witch," Mr. Beaver sighed.

Murmurs broke out in the crowd along with cries of alarm and disapproval.

"We just want our brother back," Peter said softly sounding discouraged by the angry crowd.

I looked back at him with a sympathetic look.

"He has betrayed them and us all!" one of the minotaurs cried out above the rest.

"Silence!" I shouted whipping around.

A hush fell over the crowd.

"It is my fault he was led astray. I was in charge of protecting the Pevensies so since he left under my care, it is I who is at fault here not Edmund. Don't be angry with him. He is young and wasn't instructed on the ways of this world as I have been," I stated firmly incidentally finding myself slipping back into the Narnian way of speaking.

The crowd reamined silent and the Pevensies stared at me in shock. My eyes met Peter's briefly. A strange look sparked in his eyes before he looked away abruptly.

"You cannot take charge of Edmund's heart made decisions," Aslan said softly.

"I understand," I sighed, "But I will still take responsibility for not watching him more carefully."

"You have still done what I have asked and protected those who were with you. The situation concerning Edmund was out of your control. Come all of you, I know you are tired and probably hungry," he responded turning and walking away.

I started to follow after him. I quickly noticed the Pevensies stood frozen still in their places. Chuckling I walked over and grabbed Lucy's hand while linking my arm with Susan.

"C'mon don't you want to eat?" I asked teasingly.

"Of course!" Lucy laughed.

"This is a little much to take in," Susan sighed letting us drag her along.

"I know it is, but you will find yourself at home here soon enough. The Narnians are quite lovely," I reassured her laughing.

I glanced over noticing that Peter was hanging back a bit.

"Why don't you two go on ahead?" I suggested, "I'll catch up with you in a minute."

"Why?" Susan questioned with a small frown turning around.

As soon as she looked at Peter, she smirked and nudged my side. My face warmed suddenly and I looked at the ground.

"Don't hang back too long," she teased dragging Lucy away quickly.

Peter

I frowned noticing Lucy and Susan run off ahead giggling. Aewryn had paused and was shaking her head at them. I walked over with slight confusion.

"Why'd they run off so fast?" I asked making her jump a little.

"Oh, it's nothing. They were just eager to explore," she shrugged unconvincingly.

I raised an eyebrow at her to which she ignored. We continued walking several paces.

"It's beautiful isn't it," she said suddenly gesturing to the rolling fields before us on which the Narnian camp was situated on.

"Yes," I nodded.

"And to think in just a short time, you and your siblings will rule over all of this and so much more," she sighed with a bright smile.

"Do you really think that we could rule Narnia?" Iasked stopping at the top of a hill.

"Of course," she replied with a surprised look, "It's your destiny to do so."

"But can we actually do it? Can I- How am I to lead these people?" I finally asked the question that'd been bouncing around in my mind for days.

Seeing all of the Narnians reinforced the question. They were so different from us and the world we grew up in. How could we rule them? And seeing the way Aewryn speaks and acts around them... she is more fit to rule than any of us. I lowered my gaze to the grass below us with a heavy sigh.

"Peter," she murmured putting a hand on my arm.

I raised my head to look at her.

"To lead and to rule are two very different things. Rule over them? Now that you can do easily. It doesn't take a genuis to simply rule a country. But to lead, that is where the distinction between a king and a ruler lies. To lead these people, you need a good heart, a wise mind, and a support team to guide you. You have all of those things Peter. You have your siblings, Aslan, and me to guide you. Your heart is pure and your intentions are good. You can lead them, you just need to have a little more faith," she said gently.

I nodded thoughtfully mulling over what she'd said. Her soft eyes bore into mine as a sweet smile formed on her lips. I felt myself smile back at her. She sounded so sure, so confident.

"Thank you Aewryn," I softly said taking her hand, "I really needed to hear that."

Her smile widened instantly. Movement to our left made us turn. Aslan was approaching with someone at his side. When they got closer, I realized the person next to them was actually Lucy who was now dressed like Aewryn in Narnian clothes.

"Susan and Lucy have requested that you join them at the river," Aslan said to Aewryn.

"That sounds wonderful," she nodded smiling.

She let go of my hand and walked towards Lucy. I felt my face redden as I realized how close we'd been standing and that we'd been holding hands for some time.

"I will escort Peter to his tent," Aslan said to the girls, "Make sure you do not stray too far from camp."

The girls nodded before running off together. I smiled watching them as they hurried off.