Part II: Chapter 12

Aewryn

In the midst of the battle, I felt the ground shift. My focus drifted away instantly as I frowned. What was that? I gasped ducking as a massive tree root came shooting out of the ground grabbing the Telmarine charging towards me. I turned to see more tree roots breaking through the crowd aiding the Narnians.

"Aslan," I breathed excitedly.

My eyes met Susan's and she smiled cheering. Lucy and Percy found him. The Telmarines began to retreat as their catapults were destroyed and the land itself attacked them. We began pushing them back all the way to the river.

We all paused however upon seeing the Telmarine general freeze halfway across the bridge. Peter looked to me with a look of confusion. I shrugged having no answer for him. Then an all too familiar giggle rang out. My heart swelled as my little Percy came toddling forward out of the woods giggling and clapping. Right beside him was Lucy who held her dagger as she glared at the Telmarines.

"It's but a child and a little girl!" one man spluttered.

Then Aslan revealed himself walking forward into the light. I smiled even wider seeing the great lion. The general attempted to continue his charge. Aslan roared and the waters began to shift and move. We watched in awe as the spirit of the river manifested as a massive man lifting the general and his horse up on their portion of the bridge. He then swallowed them both and the water returned to its normal state. After seeing that, all of the Telmarines quickly surrendered.

The others rushed across the water to Aslan. The adrenaline that had kept me going began to fade and I began aware of the horrendous pain in my back. It washed over me like a tidal wave and I stumbled. Gentle hands caught me though and steadied me. I looked up to see Alias.

"Hello again," I chuckled lightly.

He smiled lifting me up as if I weighed nothing and carrying me toward the others.

"It is good to see you alive, my queen," he responded.

I noticed immediately the confused frowns on everyone's faces as we crossed the river. Peter's hand moved towards his sword but he relaxed when Aslan nudged his arm. Alias set me down on my feet carefully. The pain had subsided some but not enough to ignore.

"I would be very careful," Alias told Peter gesturing to me, "She is strong."

Peter looked to me in question taking my hand gently as his other hand came to rest on my hip.

"I will explain later," I whispered in his ear, "When we are alone."

He nodded. Percy wobbled over making both of us laugh as he held his arms up to Peter.

"Papa!"

Peter picked him up smiling. Percy reached over immediately and put his hands on my face while letting his little nose brush mine.

"Mama!" he giggled.

I smiled unable to stop myself from tearing up.

"Yes, baby. I'm right here," I replied kissing his head.

Aslan stepped forward. We all knelt before him.

"Rise Kings and Queens of Narnia," he commanded.

We all stood except for Caspian. I looked to Aslan who smiled at me. Oh...now I understand.

"All of you," he added gently.

Caspian raised his head slightly.

"I do not believe I am worthy of that title," he admitted with a soft frown.