Part I: Chapter 8

Aewryn

I yawned as I sat up from my cot. Susan was still asleep but Lucy was up already getting dressed.

"You're up early," I commented with a chuckle.

"Well yes, Edmund will be back today," she stated happily.

"How do you know?" I questioned.

"Aslan sent one of the Minotaurs to the White Witch's camp to bring him back after Peter and you left. They should be back sometime today," she answered finishing lacing up her dress and starting to brush her hair.

I nodded in understanding and went to get dressed myself. We left Susan to sleep and headed out into the camp. We hadn't gotten very far before Peter joined us. The three of us went to nice spot on top of small hill and sat down. I laid back in the grass staring up at the beautiful blue sky.

"When do you think they'll arrive?" Lucy asked breaking the silence.

"Any minute now I'm sure," Peter answered looking around.

I smiled.

"You two are beginning to pick up the Narnian speech pattern," I pointed out.

Both looked down at me with confused expressions.

"We are?" they asked in sync.

"Yes. It's very subtle but it's definitely there," I nodded.

Lucy laughed and laid back in the grass beside me.

"This is wonderful!" she cried, "I could stay here forever."

I nodded in agreement with a small sigh. This was nice. Still there were preparations that needed to be made for the coming war. One of those things being finding Susan and myself suitable armor. The dryads probably have something in our size. I sat up.

"Where are you going?" Lucy asked with a small frown.

"I need to find armor for Susan and I," I explained.

"Wait!" Peter cried as I started to stand.

Both of us looked at him with surprised expressions. His cheeks reddened slightly.

"Yo-you have grass in your hair," he pointed out softly.

"Oops," I chuckled patting my hair, "Did I get it?"

"No," Lucy giggled.

"Here," Peter said leaning forward and running his hand through the front of my hair.

My eyes locked on his and held as he did so. My heart did that strange fluttering thing again causing me to blush slightly. His blue eyes seemed to match the sky and I found myself getting lost in them.

"Edmund!" Lucy cried abruptly breaking the moment.

I looked away from Peter to where she was pointing. On a hill a little ways away from us, I saw the dark haired boy standing with Aslan. They both turned seeming to have heard Lucy's shout. I smiled waving. He waved back.

"Why don't you two go over and greet him? I need to speak with the dryads," I suggested and left quickly.

It took me a bit to find the dryads' portion of the camp. They were situated closest to the forest which was on the other side of camp from where we had been.

"Good morning, Aewryn!" several called as I walked in their midst.

I nodded and smiled to each of them. Soon I reached the tent of the head of the dryads, the grandmother dryad. She turned when I entered the tent and smiled.