Part III: Chapter 4

As we neared though, Caspian pointed out an abnormality. There was not a single Narnia flag flying on the island.

"But the Lone Islands have always been Narnian," Edmund remarked with a frown.

I frowned as well. He was right.

"It seems suspicious," the captain remarked shaking his head and passing his scope to Edmund so he could view the island.

"Indeed it is," I nodded looking to the three men, "We must be careful."

We decided to go ashore and check it out. We split into two groups and boarded the longboats to take to shore. Reepicheep stood at the bow of ours, an excited twitch in his tail. I chuckled softly.

"Onwards! The thrill of adventure awaits!" he exclaimed as soon as we were ashore.

Caspian got out of the boat first, followed by Edmund. Both then offered a hand to Lucy and I respectively. The two of us departed the boat with Percy quick on our tails.

"Can't I just stay here?" Eustace asked looking a tad seasick from the short ride.

"What honor is there in missing out on an adventure?" Reepicheep responded with a laugh.

"Come along with us. It'll be fun!" Percy added smiling.

"Wait- listen," Lucy said suddenly and we all fell silent.

It was completely silent. My brow furrowed as we all waited for even the slightest sound to suggest life.

"Where is everyone?" I wondered aloud.

After another silent pause, we decided to continue. There was certainly something strange afoot. Ignoring both Reepicheep and Percy's offers of assistance, Eustace finally managed to tumble out of the boat and onto the stone steps where the rest of us were waiting. I rolled my eyes with a soft sigh.

"Are you certain he is related by blood?" I questioned Lucy and Edmund.

"I do wonder sometimes," Edmund snorted and followed after Caspian.

We made our way to the main landing of the docks. Caspian removed the crossbow from his back. I unsheathed my sword, the same caution filling my being. I glanced over my shoulder briefly to check on Percy. He was standing beside Eustace, his hand holding fast to the hilt of his father's sword. His eyes met mine briefly and he offered me a bright smile. I returned the smile trying to push down the worry.

Suddenly a gong sounded and we all froze. My heart began to hammer as I looked to the single bell tower. There was no sign of movement though.

"Reepicheep, stay here with Drinian's men," Caspian ordered, "Secure the base. We'll head on."

The mouse nodded and moved closer to where our longboats were.

"If we are not back by dawn, send a party after us," I added glancing to Lucy.

She looked a bit fearful but her resolve solidified and she nodded.

"Yes, Your Majesties," Reepicheep responded.

We pressed on into the main part of the town. It seemed to be completely vacant. The longer we searched, the more the feeling that something was deeply, deeply wrong settled in my stomach. It looked abandoned, but when I stood perfectly still apart from the others and held my breath, I could hear the faint breaths and soft scuff of shoes on sand. There were people here...but where?

I nearly jumped out of my skin when Eustace loudly said, "Well, it looks like nobody's home. We should probably leave."

We all exchanged slightly aggravated looks. He was way behind us, having been trailing the whole time.