Part I: Chapter 9

Aewryn

"Aewryn! Aewryn wake up!"

I sat up with a confused look as Edmund and Peter stormed into the tent.

"Wha-what's going on?" I questioned rubbing my eyes.

"We just got word from Susan and Lucy..." Edmund began.

"Aslan is dead," Peter finished with a somber look.

My eyes fell shut as I turned away from them. An empty pit filled my stomach as I held back tears.

"Y...you knew," Peter breathed almost in disbelief, "You knew he had sacrificed himself for Edmund."

"He made up his mind. Who was I to change it?" I sighed turning back to the boys.

They both looked heartbroken. Edmund more so than Peter knowing that he initiated all of this. I stood and hugged the younger boy.

"Our fates were laid out long before we were ever born. Aslan knew this just as he knew the laws of Deep Magic. We could not change what the future held," I reassured him gently, "This is not your fault, Edmund."

"But then who will lead the army?" he asked worriedly.

"Peter," I answered looking to the elder boy.

His eyes widened in shock and fear. I frowned at the amount of fear in them. He still doesn't have faith.

"Edmund, tell the troops the news and tell them to get ready," I instructed, "Jadis will not hesitate to launch an attack as soon as possible."

He nodded and left the tent. As soon as he was gone, I turned back to Peter who had begun to pace the length of the tent. I chuckled a little at him making him stop and turn.

"What is so funny?" he asked.

"Well for one, you and Edmund seemed to have little respect for women seeing as you two just marched in here. Two, I'm still in my bedclothes and you seem very unconcerned," I teased in an attempt to lighten the mood.

His face instantly reddened as he stumbled over his words to find an answer. I laughed rolling my eyes.

"I'm just teasing," I chuckled.

He relaxed a bit but was still bright red. With a heavy sigh, he sat down on the edge of Susan's cot.

"How am I to lead this army?" he asked aloud.

I walked over shaking my head.

"Are you so quick to forget our conversation from yesterday?" I asked.

He looked up at me with a small smile.

"No, I remember."

"Well then you have your answer. You just need to have faith, Peter. Faith in yourself, in the Narnians, in Aslan, and in true justice. The good will always triumph over the evil. Even when the odds are stacked against us, if we have faith, we can move mountains."

He was silent for some time. Then he gently grabbed my hands and looked up at me with a questioning look in his eyes.

"Will you fight?" he asked.

"Only death could stop me," I answered firmly.

A weird look flickered across his features before he nodded.

"Well then it's best you get ready. Aslan showed me the battle plans but there may be some changes that need to be accounted for. You understand this stuff more than I do so I'll need your help," he stated standing and releasing my hands.