Part III: Chapter 7

Aewryn

We awoke the next morning to a storm. Drinian said we'd entered it some time in the very early morning and there was currently no end in sight. I believe we spent nearly three days being pummeled by rain and waves. It was dreadful for all aboard.

Drinian was the voice of reason most times. Caspian wished to press forward as expected, but the captain was concerned for our now dwindling rations and worn out crew. He suggested we turn back while we still had the chance. Caspian looked to Edmund then to me. I kept my expression placid, but I was certain he knew what my advice would be. In the nine years we have known each other, I have always favored one course of action.

"These are strange seas we're sailing. The likes of which I have never seen before," Drinian said shaking his head.

I looked to Caspian waiting for his response. He stood calmly and crossed the room.

"Then perhaps Captain, you're the one who would like to explain to Mr. Rhince and Gael that we are abandoning the search for their family," he offered.

Drinian paled a bit. It was no secret the man had developed a soft spot for the little girl who was now always about the ship on Percy's heels. Most of the crew had. Her bright laughter brought smiles to everyone's faces and her games kept Percy preoccupied so he didn't pester the crew with questions.

The man nodded slowly, "I'll get back to it."

He started to leave. He paused though after grabbing his jacket.

"Just a word of warning," he said turning back to us, "The sea can play nasty tricks on a crew's mind."

And with that chilling remark, he headed back above deck. I shook with head clicking my tongue lightly.

"Such a downer," I hummed.

Edmund chuckled, but Caspian made no acknowledgement of my comment. My frown deepened as I saw the concerned look on the man's face. I walked over and placed a hand on his arm. He looked down at me silently.

"You made the right decision. It is through trials that we grow stronger and through facing our fears that we grow bolder. Do not let one of weaker faith cloud your mind with doubt," I told him gently, "Aslan sees all. Aslan knows all. He is watching over us, even from the midst of a storm."

He nodded slowly. I looked to Edmund who now had a thoughtful expression on his face as if contemplating my words. Offering them both a small comforting smile, I left the chart room to return to my own quarters. It was late after all judging by my own biological clock. I don't know how, but I fell asleep with ease.

It felt like moments later that my eyes opened. But instead of the dark belly of a ship, I was greeted with the sight of sunshine and a slight breeze.

I frowned in confusion looking around. I was back in England. I began to walk down the street. My confusion grew as I realized this wasn't England. It was... I passed by a newsstand and looked down at the paper. The New York Times. This was America.

No...no it couldn't be. How? I turned in a slow circle. The scent of food suddenly wafted my way and I felt my stomach rumble. Without thinking, I followed the delicious smell down the street to a diner. I had just entered when a certain laugh caught my attention. I turned and my jaw dropped.

"Peter..." I breathed.

He sat just across the diner, dressed in a collared shirt and dark gray slacks. His blond hair was slicked back and a sport coat hung from the chair behind him. My lips immediately curled up into a smile and I took a step toward him.

But then a second laugh met my ears, this one was unfamiliar to me. My smile slipped as I realized he was sitting across from someone. She was taller than me, but not by much, with beautiful black hair and dazzling brown eyes.