Part II: Chapter 3

"C'mon! C'mon!" Lucy cried dragging me along the street.

"Slow down Lu!" Susan cried in annoyance.

I merely laughed shaking my head. Susan's friends, Juliet and Maria, both laughed as well jogging to try to catch up with the younger girl. We were all headed to the park down the road from the Pevensies' home.

"You do realize the park is not going to disappear?" I asked the young girl whose hand clasped mine tightly.

"Yes, but I hate to waste time getting there," she giggled.

"Understandable," I conceded with a smile.

We hurried the rest of the way there and reached the park a few minutes before Susan and her friends. All three other girls looked a bit winded. I smiled shaking my head at them as they picked and preened for a moment.

"Is that really necessary?" I teased tugging Susan's braid.

"You never know who might see you," she replied simply.

"I doubt there are very many attractive young men just waltzing around the park."

"Your vision is slurred," she snorted.

I rolled my eyes turning only to run directly into someone. I stumbled backwards but a hand caught my waist keeping me from falling. Slightly surprised, I looked up to meet a pair of deep brown eyes.

"Oh, sorry," I apologized quickly.

"It's alright, love," the young man chuckled letting me go.

I felt something pinch my side. I glared over my shoulder as Susan slipped by with her friends smirking. Rolling my eyes I turned back to the stranger.

"Are those your friends?" he asked with a soft smile.

"More or less," I replied absently.

He gave me a slightly confused look. I realized what I'd said and blushed. It was still hard to think of Susan as merely a friend when for years she'd been my sister in law. I mean she technically still is but...oh nevermind.

"Um, again I'm very sorry for running into you," I apologized once more looking for a way to leave this already awkward situation.

"It's alright. It's not everyday a beautiful girl runs into you," he chuckled.

My eyes widened slightly. I looked to the ground unsure of what to say.

"I'm Aspen," he introduced himself holding out his hand.

I shook his hand politely.

"My name is Aewryn," I responded.

"Beautiful," he murmured just loud enough for me to hear.

I cleared my throat now feeling extremely uncomfortable. A hand slid into mine abruptly. I glanced down to see Lucy frowning up at Aspen. He seemed to just notice her and smiled.

"Hello," he greeted her pleasantly.

"She's taken," Lucy stated bluntly.

His eyes widened at her statement and I held back a laugh covering my mouth with my hand. He seemed to take it as surprise though and gave me a confused look. Before he could say anything, Lucy dragged me away. I let out a sigh of relief once we'd gotten far enough away.

"Praise Aslan for Lucy Pevensie," I exclaimed laughing.

She laughed as well.

"Some guys don't take a hint," she observed with a thoughtful look, "How did he not see how uncomfortable you were?"

"He may not noticed," I shrugged preferring to give Aspen the benefit of the doubt, "That or he chose not to."

"Either way, I'm glad its over," she stated rather matter of factly.

"Just be glad Peter wasn't here. He would've lost it," Susan snorted appearing out of nowhere with Juliet and Maria trailing behind.

"He seems to be very protective of you," Juliet commented with a slight frown, "That can't be normal."

I chuckled shaking my head.

"Peter is protective of a lot of things. It's in his nature to protect and to lead. He can't help that he's destined to be the protector of his own," I responded gently.

Lucy and Susan nodded understandingly but Juliet and Maria looked a bit confused. I didn't bother explaining to them. They would not understand anyway. We spent the rest of the day enjoying the park. The day came to a close as we all laid in the grass relaxing. I sat with back against a tree as Lucy rested her head on my lap. Susan sat across from me while Juliet sat beside me and Maria lay on her stomach.

"I'm so not excited for school to be starting," Maria sighed, "It feels as if we just left."

"You should tell us about the school. After all, we've never been," I suggested.

"Oh it's beautiful," Juliet gushed, "Fresh cut lawns, beautiful flower beds, massive old buildings. The uniforms are a bit annoying but I've had worse. Oh and there are lots of really cute guys. Not that that applies to you Aewryn."

I smiled nodding.

"Some of the girls are a bit snobby, but we'll help you meet the good ones," Maria promised.

We lapsed into silence. I found myself fingering my rings gently. Lucy looked up at me watching my fingers dance across the chain and delicate rings it bore.

"We'll be back one day," she said soft enough that only I could hear her, "I know it."

I smiled down at the young girl. I believed her. As crazy as it might sound, a year later, I still had the feeling that Narnia was just around the corner.