Chapter 96

They only had a week to prepare.

And somehow, it wasn't the only thing they had to prepare for.

"Sweetheart," said Klaus as he and Maddy came to find Hope in the Lafayette Cemetery, where she'd been sitting by the grave of the man she'd killed.

"You didn't have to come," she murmured, not turning to them. "I'm pretty sure I just drowned the memorial."

"We were worried," said Maddy. "How are you feeling?"

Hope shrugged. "I don't know why we leave flowers," she murmured, staring at the roses that had been left for the man. "Doesn't do them any good. It's not much of an apology for killing someone."

"You didn't do it on purpose," said Maddy, placing a hand on her shoulder. "You came to help us because you thought we were in trouble. You stopped that vampire from ripping out my heart."

"You helped rid the city of those vermin," added Klaus helpfully. "You have nothing to apologize for."

Hope shook her head. "Don't make it sound so noble. Yeah, yeah, I helped defeat a few bad guys but I still killed someone innocent. Well... at least he gets his revenge next week when the full moon comes."

"Hope," said Klaus, "however much you dread your first transformation, once you go through it, you're gonna feel better. Look at Anita."

"I don't know if I dread it or wish that I could just turn and never turn back. All of you say that after the pain, it's one of the best feelings in the world." She sniffled. "Did you come to tell me something else? I told you I'd be fine here by myself."

Maddy pursed her lips. "Your Aunt Freya proposed to your Aunt Keelin last night. And... I guess they wish to get married in a few days."

"Really?" whispered Hope, turning to face her. "How are we going to have a wedding in three days?"

"Well... compulsion. Your Aunt Freya has it all planned out. Finn is going to walk her down the aisle, Rebekah will be her maid of honor, Kol is going to officiate the ceremony... and all your aunts and uncles are easily able to take time off of their jobs with their compulsion, so the whole family will be here. Jenna and Ric are bringing Duke, too. I know it's been awhile since you last saw him."

Hope's lip trembled. "Do you think they'd let me skip the wedding? It's just with... the way I feel... I don't want to ruin the day."

Klaus cupped her face. "If you were to miss it, we would all be quite sad. Your Aunt Freya was hoping you and Anita would be the ring bearers."

"That's a one person job..."

"Your Aunt Keelin was also wondering if you'd walk her down the aisle."

Hope shook her head. "I think I'll pass. I have to take responsibility for what I did. No celebrations."

"Taking a moment to celebrate something very beautiful in the family isn't something you need to miss because you think you have to punish yourself for this," said Maddy reasonably. "This man... I don't think he would have wanted that for you. I think he would have wanted for you to accept what you did and... move past it to learn to use your new abilities for something good in the world. I think he would have wanted you to live in the moment. He wouldn't have blamed you, Hope."

"Are you sure my attitude won't ruin things?" she asked worriedly.

"I'm positive. This is the first formal wedding the family's had in... ever."

Hope scrunched up her nose. "Really?"

"Yep. Your dad and I got married... through a piece of paper that was sent to a judge to sign. Everyone else kind of followed suit and most of your aunts and uncles aren't legally married. I think this will be something exciting. You can finally wear that dress you've been meaning to show off."