Ch. 13 | Morning Arrests

F/B = Favorite breakfast

- You were cracking puns in your seats while Tord looked around anxiously. Matt and Tom were having a staring contest for no reason. You stopped cracking and gazed at Tord. He was in another world, staring ahead silently. "Tord?" You asked, tugging on his sleeve. His eyes were glazed over. He didn't acknowledge you.

"Tord!" You shouted in his face. He flinched. "What?" Matt's pained grunts grew silent. "Are you alright? You seem.. y'know; anxious." He forced a grin. "Anxious? How so?" His accent was layered with slight fear. He was hiding something. "You're looking around a lot, and you seem kinda jumpy." He bent his head backward, looking at the ceiling.

He didn't comment. "..Alright, Tom-" you pointed at him. He jumped. "Yeah?" You pointed at your menu. "Can you carry three gallons of cola?" You asked. He puffed out his chest. "I think I can," he said. You closed your menu. "Great." Matt waved his arm in the air. "Can we get a waiter?" He asked loudly.

Three ladies immediately scrambled over. "Oh, well that's better- I guess." He pointed at his menu. "Can I get some milk and french toast?" He asked. They started writing in their hands. "I'll have some F/B," you said. Tom looked through the menu. "Uh, pancakes'll be alright." Tord hesitated. "Eggs. Eggs and bacon."

Before the ladies could run off, you waved your hand. "A plate full of bacon and three gallons of cola, too." They nodded and ran off. You looked at Matt smugly. "You're such a woman magnet, Matt." He looked at his reflection in his glass, ruffling his ginger hair slightly. "I know," he purred. Everyone at the table snorted. "Narcissists are hot, tell me more" you joked.

Tom and Tord didn't take it properly. "You think Matt is hot?!" They shouted in unison. They shot each other a glare before looking back at you. "When did this start?!" They demanded. At the same time again. They glared at each other again, looking even saltier. Matt snorted. "It was a joke," he pointed out matter-of-factly.

"Matt is being smart for a change?" Tord asked suddenly, his mouth dangling open. "He's using words with more than two syllables!" Tom added, astonished. You rolled your eyes. "Keep it up, buddy." Tord slapped him on the back. He winced and pointed his glass at him. "Be gone, demon!" He cried. "My beautiful back!"

..Aaand he's back. You snorted and looked sideways. You could see Tom staring at you out of the corner of your eye. The food and drinks arrived quite quickly, but it was perfectly cooked. These ladies were serious about their food. You shoved down your food instantly. F/B are/is delicious. Tom ate slowly. Matt already had a syrup ring around his mouth. Tord was scarfing his breakfast down like a starved barn animal.

You rose your hand. "Can I have this to go?" You asked, holding your plate of bacon in one hand. One of the ladies from before smiled warmly and nodded. "Sure, honey." Western accent. She took the plate and walked off. You polished off your plate with your tongue and grabbed the glass of ice water they had left for you, chugging it.

You flinched and slammed the glass down on the table. Your brain was freezing! You doubled over, teeth clenched. Tord licked his own plate clean before starting to chuckle. "That's why you don't chug ice water," he said. Tom looked genuinely concerned. He finished his food and leaned over the table. "Y/N?" He asked. Matt was still eating, unbothered.

I mean- pop off, king you thought sarcastically. The freeze thawed. "I-I'm fine," you reassured, sitting up. Tom flashed a small smile. Matt finished his food and patted his mouth softly with a napkin. "I'm done," he announced. You, Tord, and Tom started clapping for him. The rest of the diner took this as a sign, because they also began clapping.

It faded awfully quickly, though. "Thank you, thank you!" Matt shouted, holding a thumbs-up in the air. The lady came back holding a styrofoam box. Probably had the bacon in it. "Here," you handed her a $100 bill. "Keep the change." The lady beamed. Her smile glowed enough to blind you. "Thank you! Thank you so much!" She shook your hand and skipped off happily.

You picked up the styrofoam and stood up. The boys stood up as well. "Do your work, Tom!" You lingered while Tom awkwardly bent down and picked up the cola. He grunted with the effort, but relaxed quickly. Impressive. You lead them out of the diner. Tom sped up to match your pace. "U-um, Y/N.." He began shyly. You cocked your head towards him, then straightened it. Your universal sign of acknowledgement. "Would you like to.. I dunno- go out for dinner later?" He asked.

"Like a date?" You heated up. You had only known Tom for a week. He still seemed cool though, you could get behind a date with him. He lowered his gaze but didn't respond to your question. "Sure!" You smiled at him and lead the boys into their front lawn. "Really?" His eyes widened. You shrugged. "Why not? I don't have anything better to do."

Matt unlocked the door to the house and held it open for you. "Ladies first," he said politely. "Wow, a gentlemen" you joked, dipping your head lightly and walking inside. Tom followed, balancing the cola. He walked in and shut the door on Tord with his foot. "Hey! Stupid witness.." He pounded on the door. You snorted and opened it for him. "You two fight like cats and dogs."

Edd was trudging down the stairs. "You guys are back," he said sleepily. "How do you feel?" You asked, walking over to him. "Better." He smiled sheepishly, but it was quickly overpowered by a yawn. "I brought you some breakfast." You handed him the box. He peeked inside. "Bacon! Thanks," he pulled you into another hug. Edd was such a sweetheart.

"Is the cola mine, too?" He asked, motioning towards the gallons of cola that Tom was still holding. "Yeah, want me to get you a straw?" He nodded, yawning again. "Yes, please." A firm knock on the door surprised you all. Tom dropped the cola, but it didn't leak. You peeked through the window. "Uh- it's the FBI?" You leaned backwards, surprised.

Tord froze. He backed away a couple of steps. "Tord?" He pulled you into a quick hug before dashing off. You heard the back door slide open and shut loudly. "What was that?" Matt asked. The guys at the door were gone. They probably heard the door shut. "Maybe his punching spree caught up to him," Tom suggested, helping Edd with the cola.

You looked out the window distantly. When this happened, Tord was usually gone for a while. You sighed and turned. "Who's up for some.. movie watching?" You asked lightheartedly. -