Ch. 43 | Another Storm

- Of course. Tord had the best timing. You would've applauded if your hands weren't tied behind your goddamn back. "Y/N, that was really stupid, running off," Tord scolded you. "I know you are not talking about stupid, Tord!" You shot back, trying to get yourself untied. "You could've gotten yourself killed," he answered, completely disregarding your comment.

"Please someone push me off the helicopter," you groaned. Matt, who was sitting beside you, scooted over. "Not literally!" You scooted away. "Anyways, I'm sure you've noticed the zombie apocalypse," Tord continued. "Oh, um... Yeah! I have, believe it or not!" He rolled his eyes. "I hope you know that we're working to control it."

"How do you control a zombie apocalypse?" Tom asked, sitting at your other side. "I have everyone in our scientific field working on a cure, but while that's happening, we're mainly just neutralizing the zombies," Tord replied calmly. "By-" Tom began. "Shooting them," you interrupted, looking at Tord with a raised eyebrow.

"Mostly, yeah," he admitted. "There aren't many options." You rolled your eyes and tried to think of something witty to say, but you drew a blank. "Y/N, don't leave again. And you-" he narrowed his eyes at Tom. "-Don't try anything." Tom scoffed. "With all those zombies running around?" He folded his arms. "I think I'll stay with all you trigger-happies."

"Good," Tord smiled slightly and then looked at you. "Fine," you agreed. Matt and Edd looked offended. "Oh, that goes for you, too," Tord added, blinking at them. "Okay," Edd responded while Matt nodded in understanding. "This ride is gonna take a while, get comfy, you four."

~~~

You didn't miss the red army, and you were not at all happy to be back at their base. Tord gave you the best room (after his, of course), cooked you dinner himself, and followed you around in case you ran into trouble. Even still, you couldn't bring yourself to forgive him. He had kidnapped you multiple times and tried to kill your friends. But he, most importantly, was responsible for your mother's death.

He didn't even know she was dead yet. He just broke in, had his men take you, and left. So before you went to bed, you turned on him randomly, stared into his eyes, and said: "Your mom's dead, by the way." He froze. "She's what?" You glared at him. "She's dead. Because of you." Tord stared blankly at you. "Mom's dead?"

"That's what I said." He didn't move for a good three seconds. "What about dad?" He asked, a little quieter than before. "He disappeared after the apocalypse began. Tom looked everywhere and he couldn't find him. I think he's dead, too." He stared at you. "You should go to bed," he suggested slowly, herding you off to your room.

"Are you okay?" You weren't heartless. You knew that the death of a family member wasn't easy. "I'm fine. I barely talked to them, anyways." He didn't sound fine. You swallowed back your negativity and gave him a hug. He flinched but hugged you back after a moment. "Go to bed, Y/N," He said, letting you go and walking down the hall, disappearing.

You sighed and decided to just do what he wanted. You were tired anyways. You entered your room and shut the door behind you. "Y/N?" Edd's voice. You jumped out of your skin and whipped around to face him. "Edd, you scared the life out of me!" You complained. "I can see that," he snickered. "What's up?" You tipped your head.

"I just thought you needed to talk," he said, looking sideways. "Talk? About what?" You sat down next to him. "Just talk, I know you and your mom were close." You smiled slightly. Edd was such a good friend. You eventually just unloaded on him, since he had come to listen. And he was horrifyingly patient with you, which was a relief.

He offered to stay in your room, which you immediately accepted. Tom was resting after using his powers constantly, and Matt had picked back up on his duties. The next morning, you woke up to him sleeping peacefully beside your bed, his face resting in his folded arms, which were propped up on your mattress.  He looked so tired, so you let him sleep.

You cautiously slid your legs over the side of the bed, making sure you were only stepping on solid ground. You stood up and stretched, then picked your way over Edd's legs and just walked out of the room. You were just wearing a random varsity shirt and panties, but you didn't care that you were completely under-dressed. Everyone just scrambled to do their work better in an attempt to prove themselves. They didn't care what you wore.

So here you were, walking down the hall in search of the cafeteria, which you eventually found in one of the lower levels of the base. You grabbed a coke, a plate of eggs and bacon, and a fork then walked back up to your room. When you got back, Edd was still asleep, now in a different position and snoring loudly.

The smell of breakfast jerked him awake. "Good morning!" He shouted. "Hey, here's your breakfast," you placed the plate in front of him. "Where's yours?" He asked. "I'll grab something after I find Tom, you eat your breakfast, okay?" You patted his head and walked back out, then made your way to Tom's room.

He wasn't there, which was odd enough, so you left and went to Tords' office to ask if he had seen him, but Tord was also missing. You decided to go outside, and that was a huge mistake. Tom was wrapped in duct tape, a strange binding. He was glaring at Tord, who was having a frantic conversation with some soldiers.

"What are you guys doing to Tom?!" You demanded, rushing over to him. Tord blocked your way. "Don't get near him, Y/N!" He snapped. You skidded to a halt. "Why, what's happened?" You said, eyes wide with surprise. Tom gave you a look that meant bad news.

"He's been bitten." -