Ch. 30 | Foolproof Plan

- You wandered stealthily through the corridors, avoiding the camera and looking for a victim. Where was everyone? You peeked into another room half-heartedly. There was a blonde sipping coffee inside. She was looking at the CCTV system, and her back was facing you. Perfect. You entered the room and shut the door quietly.

That got her attention. "What now, Paul?" She muttered, turning in her chair. She froze when she saw you. "W-who are you?" She gasped, backing away slightly. You didn't respond, you just crept closer to her. "Stay back!" She fiddled with a strap on her side. Faen, she has a gun! You shot forward, holding up the glass.

You gripped it so tightly that it cut through your hand. She screamed and held up the gun. You ignored the sting and swung down as quickly as you could, stabbing the shard into her neck. She dropped the gun and stared at you with a blank expression. She made a sickening gurgling noise before dropping herself. 

You took the shard out of her neck and took her uniform. Now, where do I hide her? You asked yourself after putting on her clothes. You searched through your pockets. She has a key.. I wonder if it locks this door. You walked out of the room and tried the key on the door. Bingo! It locked. You inspected the key and sighed. 

Thankfully, the uniform came with a hood, so you flipped it on and walked down the hall towards the sound of struggling. The scene outside was complete chaos. People were training, but most of them were failing and toppling over each other. A tall ginger man was glaring at the trainees, his eyes brimming with disappointment. He sighed and rubbed his temples.

Was that... Matt?  You peered closer. This man certainly looked like him. Although his hair was a little longer and he had a bionic eye and a weird metal chin thing. You peered a little bit closer. This was definitely Matt! You squealed with excitement. You decided to just walk up to him since he probably didn't recognize you after spending years apart.

Plus, you were pretty sure you remembered Tord telling you about how his uniforms would work. The one you were wearing was for important people only. You approached Matt hesitantly. "H-Hello..." You mentally cursed yourself out for stuttering. "Hello," Matt greeted, staring at you intently. You stood in silence for a moment.  "Have we met before?" He asked. 

"I don't think so," you lied, looking at your feet. His stare burned the top of your head. "What's your name?" He questioned, edging a little closer to you. "I... I don't remember," you said quickly. Stupid! You don't remember?! Matt snorted with amusement. "You don't remember your own name?" He took a step back and continued to inspect the training.

"What's your name?" You asked him. "I'm Matt." Yes! You wanted to squeeze the lights out of him, the way he used to do to you. "I'm Y/N," you found yourself saying. Why am I talking on my own?! Matt froze. "That name... It sounds familiar," he muttered, staring you down. You stared back at him, blinking your E/C eyes repeatedly.

"Do you know someone called Tom?" He asked. You winced. "Y-yeah," you answered. Matt looked like he was processing the information you had just provided. "Y/N..." He repeated under his breath. "It's... It's you! In the flesh! Y/N, I missed you so much!" He exclaimed, giving you a long, breath-taking hug. "M-Matt... I can't..." You squeezed out of his grasp.

"I missed you, too, Gingerbread," you snickered, giving him a peck on the cheek. You didn't want to draw any attention to yourself. But clearly, Matt didn't care. "Tom's here, he's fine! He couldn't stop talking about you and how worried he was," he told you. "Sometimes I had to physically restrain him if I wanted to sleep for more than fifteen minutes."

You snickered. You felt as if a weight had been lifted off your shoulders. A weight you'd been carrying around since Tom disappeared two years ago. "Why did Tord keep him around?" You wondered out loud. "Well, apparently Tord gave him a chance to prove himself on your behalf," Matt explained. "He was way better at combat than any of us expected."

"What about you?" You blinked at him. "Surely you're not a soldier?" He scoffed. "Of course not, I just take notes and stuff," he replied, his eyes rolled exaggeratedly as if he was offended. "I wouldn't want to get my precious face ruined more than it already is." You snorted. "So, where's Edd? And Tom?" You asked him.

"I can take you to see Edd, but not Tom. Not yet," Matt answered. "Why not?" You leaned forward and lifted an eyebrow. "Tom tried to escape multiple times, so Tord decided to just guard him," he explained. "So when can I see him?" You asked. "Tord has a meeting with some other leaders later, so he'll make one of his second-hand men deal with him."

"So then?" You glanced sideways. The chaos was still taking place. "Yeah, I guess I can offer to stay with him," Matt nodded. You both fell into silence. "Let's go see Edd," he said, leading you out of the yard. Before he entered the building, he turned. "Training is over, go clean up!" He called. You flinched at his stern tone. Since when did Matt have actual authority?

"C'mon," he told you, leading you inside. "Where'd you get that uniform?" You flinched again. "I-I... I kinda... I-I borrowed it," you answered, lowering your gaze. Matt halted. "What did you do?" He asked, whirling around. "I...I kinda... took it from someone." You weren't exactly lying. You did take it from someone. But you didn't want to give him details.

"Okay," he conceded. He didn't look convinced, but he turned and continued walking down the corridor. He entered some weird lower level of the building. It was dark and quiet, but you could hear silent thrashing. "Edd?" You called, exploding past Matt and racing down the steps. He was sitting in an odd glass case with steam pumping into it.

"Y/N!" He shot to his feet and pressed his nose against the glass. You couldn't help but remember the moment when he found the camera. Pressing his whole face against the glass. You smiled at the memory and wandered over to the case, pressing your own face against the glass. "Did they hurt you?" You demanded, suddenly getting serious.

"I'm fine, Y/N. How did you get here?" Edd asked. He paused and looked over your shoulder. "Matt?!" He shouted. "Hey, Edd!" Matt greeted, walking next to you. "How are you? What did they do to you? Did they do anything to you?" His tone was fierce. He sounded genuinely concerned. "I'm fine, they didn't hurt me."

You sat down and stared at the boys as they caught up. This was nice, but it wasn't perfect. Not yet. You still had Tom to go, and you were still in Tord's presence. It was only a matter of time until he found you. You had to collect Tom and get the hell out of there as soon as possible. But for now, you just wanted to enjoy this moment with two of your best friends. Before shit hit the fan, at least.