Too Young, Too Mature, Too Much

Heyo, human beings from outer space!

It's been too long. I'm sorry for the delayed update, I don't even know how many days it's been but I'm too lazy to count. Meh. It took me way too long to write this story, so sorry. 

But I have come to invoke emotional torment upon you. 

Read on if you dare. 

The conversation crackled lively between the clones as they enjoyed their most recent victory over a meal in the mess. Fives and Hardcase laughed loudly. Kix, Jesse, and Rex conversated amusedly. Ahsoka remained unusually quiet.

Anakin chuckled along with the men, then he almost choked, and he cleared his throat. Huh. Maybe he shouldn't stuff his mouth so full. He stood, excusing himself from the table.

Rex waved a hand in acknowledgement as Anakin stood. Ahsoka, seemingly startled when Anakin left, watched him walk towards the front of the mess before she turned back to stare at her food.

Out of the corner of his eye, Rex watched her sway back and forth. Her head tilted and her eyes drooped. Then she snapped her eyes open and righted at herself, staring at the food again. Once again, she began to sway.

"You falling asleep on us, Little'Un?" Rex chuckled, setting a hand on her shoulder.

"Hmm?" Ahsoka blinked sleepily at him, squinting against the mess hall's fluorescent lights. "Oh, uh, no."

Rex chuckled another time when Ahsoka's eyes drooped once more. She finally slumped forward and Rex had to catch her before she ended up drowning in her soup. Or, that's what he feared would happen if she ended up face planting in it.

Right away, he decided against waking her. Instead, he leaned her against his shoulder and let her rest. It had been a difficult battle, even if there weren't enough injuries to keep Kix in the med-bay for hours afterwards.

Ahsoka deserved rest, and Rex didn't know how much she actually got on their irregular basis. She was even expected to perform the same tasks as grown men, and she was much younger and smaller. She was strong, yes, but how old was she? Twelve? No, she was older, but still too young for this war.

Anakin returned to the table with a few napkins. He smiled faintly when he saw Ahsoka leaning against Rex's shoulder.

"Finally tired her out," Anakin said.

Rex nodded. He glanced at the sleeping Togruta.

"She doesn't deserve this," Anakin said as if reading Rex's mind. Maybe he was. "She shouldn't have to fight in this war. She should have a childhood."

"I agree, sir," Rex input.

"Well," Anakin stood again, hoisting Ahsoka against him, "I'm going to take her to her quarters."

Anakin turned around and Rex watched him walk away.

*         *          *

Rex shovelled the last heap of dirt on the pile and patted it down with his boot. He wiped his brow and leaned on the shovel, surveying the land around him. His gaze halted to a standstill at a small, trembling figure knelt before one of the graves.

Rex hated digging graves and burying soldiers with a passion. What he hated, even more, was when they assigned a child to the duty. Rex dropped the shovel and shuffled over to Ahsoka.

"You okay, Little'Un?" Rex set a hand on her shoulder, kneeling next to her. Ugh, why'd he ask that? Of course she wasn't okay! She just had to bury several dead people!