She Will Prevail

Heyo, human beings from outer space!

Speedy lil question: do you remember all those mocking chants we had as children, like the "name and name, sittin' in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g," and yadah yadah? 

Well that's what inspired this fic. 

That exact chant. 

And it's in here. (or a parody of it)

Read on if you dare. 

"Don't be afraid of the man, Ahsoka. Go with him."

Ahsoka shook her head, trying to ignore the way her mother's brow wrinkled at her refusal. Listen to your mom and dad, everyone would tell her, but now she just couldn't.

The man wearing a brown cloak reached out a lumpy hand and she shrank back behind her parents' legs. Even at the unimpressive age of 3, she knew with zero doubt that this man wasn't who everyone else thought he was. He felt funny and when he spoke, she heard a bitterness he carefully tucked away. But he hadn't hid it well enough. Not from her.

"Go with the Jedi," her mom urged again, nudging her towards the man.

"No Jedi!" Ahsoka cried. "No!"

"He will take you somewhere safe, somewhere you belong." Her mother pushed her forward as gently as she could while still making the child move.

"NO!" Ahsoka shrieked, staggering back and scuttling out of her mother's grasp. "I won't go!"

The way all the adults looked down at her made her burn with shame, but she simply couldn't let the man take her.

"Now, Ahsoka," said her father, sounding stern and stuffy, "listen to your mother, you have to go."

Ahsoka saw the shiny tears in her mom's eyes, and she felt her lekku darkening. She wanted to make her mom happy again, she really did, but... she couldn't.

"I won't," Ahsoka insisted.

Her father reached out and scooped her up, pretending like she wasn't kicking and wailing in his arms. He set her down next to the brown-cloaked man, and his big, lumpy hand came down to wrap around her wrist. His fingers held her wrist so tightly it hurt.

"Let's go, youngling."

The way he said it made her stomach go wormy and something clicked in her little brain. Something went from resisting to survival mode, and she spiraled into a screaming fit as the man dragged her away. With every step he pulled her along a little faster, and she grew a little more desperate. A bubbling energy brewed in her gut, fueling her.

"Stop, stop, stop!" Ahsoka begged, but the man's grip only tightened.

So she did the only thing she could think of to do next: she bit him. She yanked down on the wrist he held prisoner and sank her teeth into his sour, bumpy finger hard enough to feel a sickening crush. The man yoweled and shoved her into the dirt. Ahsoka felt the snaggy rocks bite her flesh and her face smacked hard enough for her jaw to click on her tongue and she could feel everything burning and stinging but she wouldn't cry.

Ahsoka sat up in time for the man to stop towards her, muttering furious words in another language, and the bubbling energy in her overflowed. She shot out her arms as if to shield a slap-attack and just like that, the man went staggering back a few steps.

His sickening fury leaked through the air and made her feel sick as he stepped forward again to tower over her. A hungry glint shone in his eyes. He lunged again and this time the energy didn't flare up. Ahsoka screamed, expecting him to tackle her, but he never did. She heard a thud and peeked her eyes open.