Mind of a Medic | Whumptober day 2

Heyo, human beings from outer space!

Guess who broke her thumb today? Me✨. 

it's incredibly difficult to type with a splint on my hand, so luckily i had this one mostly written already. This also means that updates will be even slower than normal, which is already probably too slow, so oops. I really wish I could press undo on today. 

Requested by I_Am_Snips and is the same thing as "what to do with the kids?" but from Kix and Obi's povs. No, I'm not a medic, ignore my lack of medical knowledge. 

Read on if you dare. 

Kix had learned to listen to the Jedi and trust their intuition. At first, he hadn't thought much of the murky clouds drifting towards them. The planet had strange weather so they'd passed it off at that.

But when Ahsoka's shrill voice rang over the chaos, announcing to her Master that she had a bad feeling about it, Kix bristled. The next moment, she scrambled aside as a huge, silver canister clanged to the ground beside her.

Skywalker ducked his head down beside it to inspect it. Kix couldn't reach him fast enough as the death can started hissing like a creature gone rabid, angry clouds spraying directly into the general's face.

How kriffing stupid could he get? His padawan was nowhere in sight– she was smart to dive away.

Skywalker hit the ground shapelessly, triggering a mad breakout. Kix screamed through his bucket comm for all the available medics to get over there. The men dashed about to reform and provide cover as the medics packed around Skywalker.

They were all moving at the speed of light, working in sync and shouting out anything of importance. All the while Kix was mentally cursing him for being such a blasted di'kut and for not using his brain.

"What is this stuff?!" cried a junior medic as he tried to clear Skywalker's frothy airways, others getting ready with a temporary air purifier.

Kix didn't know– not yet. "A medical emergency!"

Several "amen"s echoed over the group as they worked over their general. Their kriffing idiot general who lacked a brain and any fragments of common sen–

"Kix!"

His head snapped up, ripping him from the situation and his heart stopped when he saw Rex holding onto the commander's arm. She looked like she'd gone mentally to another world, eyes looking but not really seeing and her hand which held a cloth to cover her face drifting downward weakly.

Kriff, no, she was just breathing in more of this medical emergency air.

He took a couple long strides to reach her and grabbed her other arm.

"Kid, focus on me, come on." But it was too late to avoid a reaction, and his best bet was to get her to the ground. She was already buckling as he laid her severely trembling form in the dirt and screamed for some medics to get over to and help him.

This was a dirty move on the Seppies' end. Gas, targeting Jedi and civi soldiers, since everyone else had their buckets to filter the air. Fire of fury blazed inside him.

"We lost Skywalker!"

No, kriff no. Kix started barking out orders and gracelessly traded places with two junior medics who scrambled to attend to Tano. Sweat streamed over his face as he counted chest compressions.

"Got a pulse!"

Kix hadn't realized he'd been holding his breath. "Good, keep it."

"Sir, Tano's seizing!"

No, kriff no. Kix leaped back over to the young commander who was jerking around rather dramatically. The gas must've affected Togrutas differently– why did she have to be so kriffing complicated?

"Where the stang is my medevac?!" Kix screamed. It was a race against time.

"One minute, sir!"

Fifty-nine, fifty-eight, fifty-seven–

"Tano's frothing blood!"

Fourty-two, forty-one, fourty–

"Watch Skywalker's pulse!"

Thirty-eight, thirty-seven, thirty-six–

"Why are her veins turning black?!"

Twenty-five, twenty-four, twenty-three–

"Tano's not breathing!"

Ten, nine, eight–

"There!"

The gunship soared down, coming as close as it could. Getting the Jedi on happened in a quick, efficient blur and they were bound for coruscant.

Kix could've collapsed. He could go for a very long nap.

///

Obi-Wan raced down the halls, shoving through the chaos and the crowds and throwing rushed apologies this way and that. He finally made it to the thick of the crowd and elbowed his way in.

"Master!"

Obi-Wan whipped his head around to find Ahsoka and his heart shattered. With her burnt-orange skin reduced to gray, veins dark, and eyes unseeing, she looked ready to dump herself at death's door.

He strode to her side and took her hand, which was hotter than his. "I'm here, Ahsoka."

"Master, please," Ahsoka whimpered. "Master, he's coming."

"Who's coming, Ahsoka?"

"Master!"

She didn't even know what she was saying, Obi-Wan could bet.

"I'm here, Ahsoka," Obi-Wan whispered. "Shhhh, you're going to be fine."

He was shoved out by the healers then, who took off towards the halls of healing. Obi-Wan stopped in his tracks and another stretcher brushed past him. The one containing Anakin.

There was nothing remarkable about his appearance, nothing to give off any impression, but to Obi-Wan he looked so dead. Anakin wasn't– couldn't be– but he looked it and it scared Obi-Wan more than it should've.

Obi-Wan chased the healers and his padawans all the way to the Halls of Healing, but stopped in the waiting room with a sigh. Now all he could to was wait. Sit and wait to be let in.

So he did.

-------------------

Word count: 824

Published: 2 October 2023

I'm with Kix, ready for a very long nap. 

Requests are open, feel free to message me or make a comment if you have any ideas. 

Hasta la vida, peoples!