Chapter 1: Backyard.

Chapter 1: Backyard.

Aaron's hands were in my panties. He thought he was doing sometimes down there, but he really wasn't. I've been faking my moans for the past five minutes.

"You like that baby?" He asks me and I nod.

"Mhm." I hum.

"Are you close?" He asks and I roll my eyes in disgust.

"Yeah." I lie, feeding his ego. I start moaning really loudly, faking an orgasm. Aaron takes his hands out of my panties and I pull them up.

"You wanna go home?" Aaron asks me, starting the car.

"Yeah." I reply, quietly.

I put on my seatbelt as I watch him back out of the cliff the car is parked on. The red Corvette speeds down the street and we stop at a traffic light.

Our relationship was complicated.

Everyone in school thinks we are a power couple and they love us. But they don't know how abusive our relationship is. Aaron was hot-headed and would hit me most times. But he is the most popular guy in school and the fact that he picked me out of all his options spoke volumes.

Even though he has anger issues and is dangerous to be around, I like the darkness, and I sure as hell love playing with fire.

"Are you good?" Aaron asks me and I nod.

The silence in the car is really uncomfortable and I just want to get home already. I stare out the window as Aaron speeds down the freeway. My house was downtown, so this was going to take a while.

When we get to my house, I give Aaron a goodbye kiss and then I get out of the car. As Aaron drives away I walk away from the porch I am standing on.

This wasn't my house. I just told him it was because I'm so ashamed of where I actually live.

My mother and I live with my aunt, Martha. She is my mother's sister and her house was very tiny. It was a one-bedroom apartment beside this sketchy bar. That's where Martha worked. My mother's a nurse who works all the time and barely comes home. And my dad...well that's a whole other story.

"You're finally back. You had me worried." Martha tells me as I close the front door behind me.

"Yeah. I was working late." I tell her.

I work at a diner, but obviously, you know that's not where I was tonight.

"Okay. Your food's in the kitchen. I made rice and gravy." She tells me and I smile at her.

Again.

This is the third time this week, that I'm having rice and gravy for dinner. I'm tired of it, but I know I can't complain. It's all we have. And Martha's a sucker for Barbadian cuisine.

That's where I'm from; Barbados. But I've never been there.

My mother came into America illegally and then she met my dad and they fell in love. She got pregnant with me and they had their own little family. Until my father decided that he didn't want that anymore. He left us in the middle of the night. He left my mother unwed and undocumented. My mother wasn't working so she couldn't pay the rent and they kicked us out. We were homeless until my aunt offered to take us in. When we started living with her, she got my mom a job at the general hospital. Martha had to forge some papers for her to work there though. She also met a guy who said he could get my mother papers, but it's really expensive.

That happened ten years ago.

Now I'm eighteen and a senior in High School. I attend Lakewood High. It's in the heart of the city. Very posh and prestigious. I could never afford the tuition if it weren't for the scholarship I'm on.