Chapter 27: Favors.

Chapter 27: Favors.

"Mom, I'm home." I announce as I take my shoes off by the front door.

I walk into the living room, there's no one there. I call out for my aunt. No response. Maybe they're still at work. Walking to my room, I place my bag on my bed and tie my hair up. My phone starts ringing and I pick it up.

It's my dad's number.

Ugh, why can't this man leave me alone?

"Hello." I say after I answer the call.

"Jasmine, I didn't think you'd pick up." He tells me.

"What do you want?" I spark.

"Did you get the box I sent you?" He asks and I stare at my dresser. The brown box has been sitting on my dresser since I saw it on my doorstep almost a month ago. I haven't opened it.

"I kept the box, but I don't know what's in it." I tell him as I walk towards the dresser.

"Open it." He pleas.

"Why should I? And why are you sending me stuff anyway?" I ask him, placing the phone down on the dresser. I put it on speaker before I tear off the brown wrapping paper on the box. It's a metallic box. There's a lock on it.

"What's the code?" I ask my father.

"It's your birthday." He tells me.

I type in September 4th, 2003 or in code for 4903. The box opens and there's a piece of paper in it. Just one rectangular piece of paper. I grab it and flip it over.

It's a check.

"Why did you give me this?" I ask him, staring at the amount of money written on the check.

"It's all the years of child support I didn't pay because your mother wouldn't let me and your college fund. If you want to go to college, that is." He tells me. "Jasmine, the money is yours."

"If this is some sick plot to suck up to me and try to redeem yourself for being an absentee father, it's not working." I tell him, grabbing my phone from the dresser.

"No. Not at all. Look, Jasmine, I would love to meet up with you and talk. You need to know the true story about what happened between your mom and I." He says and I shake my head.

"You're just going to tell me half-truths to make yourself sound better." I tell him.

"Why don't we meet up and you find out." He challenges.

"You know what, fine. I'll meet up with you and after this you better not contact me again." I reply.

"Let's meet up at the Starbucks beside my apartment complex before I leave for work tonight. How does seven sound?" I ask him.

"Perfect. I'll see you then." He says and I hang up.

I hear the front door open and I lift up my mattress and place the check under it. I walk out of the room to see who just came in.

"Auntie." I say, shocked to see her. She normally works till nine.

"Great, you're home." She says, rushing to my side.

"Why so giddy?" I ask, chuckling.

She hands me the yellow file in her hand.

"What's in here?" I ask her and she keeps smiling at me.

"Open it." She urges on. I open it and I read what the paper says.

"No way." I say, staring at her and she nods.