Chapter 5: Stitches.

Chapter 5: Stitches.

"These have gone bad. Can you run to the store and get me some collard greens?" My mother asks me and I groan.

"Okay, Mom." I tell her before I walk out of the kitchen. I go to my room to get my purse and I leave the house.

The snow falls past my face and I snuggle into my jacket. I keep walking until I see the local bodega in front of me. Once I'm in, I am grateful for the warmth that engulfs my body.

"Hey, Juan." I say as I shrug snow off my UGGs.

"Hola princesa." He says and I smile at him.

I walk to the end of the first aisle and I'm met with the deep freezers. I pick up an ice cream bar for later. Turning around, I walk to the vegetable aisle and I grab collard green. Paying for the items in my hand before I walk out of the store, I see Aaron's car parked across the bodega.

He didn't tell me he'll be coming around today.

I am about to pick up my phone and call him when I see Aaliyah walking up to the car with a box in her hands. She looks up and her eyes meet mine. She looks away before I do and gets into the car.

Wow.

Aaliyah might be my best friend, but I know she's not close friends with Aaron. I have a bad feeling about this.

Aaron's truck zooms off and I stand there, the whole situation catching me off-guard.

"They're probably hanging out, nothing serious. There's no need to worry." I tell myself.

Walking home feeling bummed out, I drag my feet as I shovel through the heap of snow in the street. I push open the front door and I enter my house.

"What took you so long?" My mother asks me as I place the collard greens on the counter.

"There's like four feet of snow outside, Mom." I tell her.

"Okay, okay. There's no need to yell." She says, scowling at me.

"Sorry." I apologize before I turn around and head to my room.

My phone buzzes in my hand and I stare at the screen.

"Won't be able to meet up for coffee. Sorry." Aaliyah's text reads.

"My car's at the mechanic. I'll be here all day. I'm gonna have to cancel our plans for dinner." Aaron's text reads under hers.

Great.

Just great.

Aaliyah and Aaron are all I have. Guess today's gonna be a day in.

"Jasmine." I hear my aunt call out as I am about to drift away in my sleep. I groan into the pillow before I slowly get up from the bed.

"Do you have any plans for today?" In a hopeful tone.

"No, they all got canceled." I tell her.

"Oh, that's wonderful. Your mother and I need your help in the kitchen." She says and I sit upright.

"Actually, I just remembered that I have study group." I tell her, standing up from the bed. I slip into my Ugg boots and I grab my jacket. I grab my backpack and walk to my room door.

"You've been studying so hard. If you keep this up, Julliard won't be so out of reach." She says, touching my cheeks.

"Yeah." I reply before I walk past her.

I make a beeline to the door and step outside. Ordering an Uber to take me to the club.

I didn't plan on working today, but I'm bored as fuck and we all know I could use the money.