Chapter 20: Cold.

Chapter 20: Cold.

I walk into the school gym that's been transformed into the garden of Eden. Literally. Aaron is around my arm, he's my date.

"You want me to get you some punch?" Aaron asks me and I nod letting go of his hand.

"A cup of punch coming right up." He says before he kisses my cheek. He pulls away and goes in the direction of the refreshment table.

I start swaying to the song playing and I spot Chanel. I need to talk to her. We haven't had the chance to talk ever since the talent showcase. I walk to where she's standing with Christian.

"Hey, guys." I say, smiling at them.

"Hi." Christian says, soberly before he takes a sip out of his hip flask.

I turn to Chanel and she looks away, avoiding my eyes.

"Can we talk?" I say, grabbing her arm. She pulls away and glares at me.

"I'll give you two some privacy." Christian says before he walks away from us.

"What is wrong with you?" I ask her and she laughs.

"You really wanna know?" She asks me.

"As a matter of fact, I do." I retort, folding my arms as I stare at her.

"Fine. Getting back together with Aaron is a bad idea. He's only gonna repeat his bad behavior." She tells me.

"People deserve second chances, Chanel." I tell her.

"Yeah, when they make small mistakes not when they are being physically violent to you." She says and my blood runs cold.

How does she know about that?

"W-what are you talking about?" I ask her.

"You're not the best at covering up bruises, Jaz. I saw the big bruise on your thigh." She says and I try my best to think of a quick lie.

"Wow, Chanel. You really think Aaron would do that to me?" I ask her.

"I do." She tells me and I laugh in her face.

"Well, you're wrong." I tell her. "I've been taking skating lessons for a while now and that bruise you think you saw was from me falling down during practice."

Chanel stares at me confused.

"You would find any reason to talk down on my relationship. Is it because you're single? Are you lonely because Aaron and I could use a third wheel now that Aaliyah is out of the picture." I say, smiling at her.

"No thanks." Chanel says, trying to walk away. I grab her arm, stopping her.

"Watch your mouth." I tell her.

"And if I don't?" Chanel asks, amused.

"You wouldn't like how nasty I get." I say, smiling at her.

"Ouu, I'm so scared. Somebody save me." She says, sarcastically. "You've clearly chosen your path, I just hope for your sake you have a flashlight 'cause you're going down a very dark road." She tells me before she frees herself from my tight grip and walks away. I stare at her and my blood boils.

What a bitch.

I feel someone tap me on my back and I turn around. It's Aaron.

"Hey, your order's here." He says, smiling at me.

"Thanks." I tell him, collecting the plastic cup.

"Did I tell you how beautiful you look?" He asks and I nod.