Chapter 22: Catch 22.

"How in the world did you afford the rent in a place like this?" My aunt asks as we place grocery bags on the kitchen island.

"It was a gift from a friend." I tell her.

"Does this friend have a name?" She asks and I scrunch my nose up.

"Let's leave him anonymous for now. But he really likes me." I tell her as she starts putting the groceries away.

"Are we ever going to meet this man?" She asks and I shake my head.

"I don't think so. Not now at least." I tell her.

"How's getting Mom's papers going?" I ask her, changing the subject.

"Child, it is taking so much time. My connect down at the immigration office is out sick. He has colon cancer and he hasn't been able to come to work since I paid him the money." She says and I immediately get worked up.

"Auntie, are you sure that dude works at the immigration office?" I ask her.

"Yes, I'm sure." She says and I nod.

"Where did you even meet him?" I ask her, she hesitates before she gives me an answer.

"Craigslist." She says and I touch my head.

Oh, hell no.

"Craigslist? What the fuck, Auntie. That man could be a scammer for all we know. I thought you did a background check on him." I say, folding my arms as I stare at her.

"I thought he was the real deal. My friend at work recommended him to me." She says and I place my hands on my forehead.

"There is no way, this is happening right now." I say, starting to panic.

"Did you really give ten thousand dollars to a strange man?" I ask her and she avoids my eyes.

"I don't know. Look, I'll ask my friend about him. Hopefully, he works at the immigration office." She says and I nod.

"He better." I quip.

"Let's just make dinner and keep this away from your mother." She says, placing the tomatoes in a bowl as I help her unpack the grocery bags.

After dinner, I'm just chilling and I get a text from an unknown number.

Unknown number: Is this Jasmine Prentice?

Me: Who's asking?

Unknown Number: My name is Darrell.

Me: What makes you think I care about what your name is? How did you get my number?

Unknown Number: I'd really like to meet with you.

Me: Who the fuck are you, bro?

The number doesn't text me again and I just sit in bed, wondering what the fuck that was about.

Minutes later, my I get another message from the number. It's a picture of me when I was little. I'm playing with a toy car and my Dad is in the background.

How did this person get this picture?

What kind of creep is this?

I text the number back.

Me: Where did you get this?