40: Coup de grâce.

Chapter 40: Coup de grâce.

"Yes, it does." The lady on the other line of the phone tells me and I nod.

"Wow, thank you. This is life-changing." I tell her, excitement clear in my voice.

"We at Sicilian Arts can't wait to have you." She says.

"I can't wait to be there." I tell her before we end the call.

I plop on my bed as I stare at the ceiling. Laying on my side, I stare at the unpacked boxes in my room. I'm packing up for college, I leave in a week.

Well, actually it's not "college".

I'm going to an art school in Venice.

I applied last minute and surprisingly got in. So, I'm packing my shit up and getting as far away from Los Angeles as I can. I've had enough of bad experiences in this dark city. It's time for me to do what I love and be happy.

"Jasmine." I hear my mother call out.

Me and her haven't really talked f each other. After that dinner, I traveled to New Jersey and I just got back yesterday. But, I sincerely don't want to have a conversation with that bitch.

I wrap my duvet around my body and pretend to be asleep. I hear her come into my room.

"I could have sworn I heard her talking." I hear her say and I keep my eyes closed.

Eventually, she leaves my room, closing the door behind her. I open my eyes and grab my phone. The alarm I set up for my meeting with Richard rings and I check my messages.

He's outside.

I put on my slides and walk out of my room. Heading for the door, I hear my mother call my name, but I ignore her. I leave the apartment and spot Richard's car parked across the street.

"Glad you came." He tells me and I nod.

"Just get on with it." I say, impatient.

I told Richard that I wanted to run a DNA test to see if my mother was lying at that dinner. He's here with the results and I don't know what to expect.

He hands me a white envelope and I open it. There's a paper inside and I unfold it before reading what's written on it.

"I know you were expecting a different outcome." Richard says beside me.

"So, she was telling the truth." I say, disappointed.

"I know this isn't the traditional father-daughter relationship, but I'm willing to make it work if you are." He offers and I chuckle.

"You can't be serious right now." I say in disbelief.

"Jasmine, we have to face the truth. I'm your father." He tells me.

"Stop saying that." I warn him.

"It's the truth." He quips.

"No. The truth is that you and my mother...did a very bad thing." I say, my voice breaking as I cry.

"And I'm trying to remedy the situation." He says, staring at me.

"For this situation, there is no remedy. You never existed and you never met me. There's no moving forward with me. We can't go from being in a relationship to you acting like my father." I tell him.

"But I am your father." He roars, his deep voice filling the car.

"Goodbye, Richard." I tell him before I get out of his car. He doesn't follow me instead he drives away.