Chapter 16: Trying to laugh with smoke in my lungs.

"Oh, come on." Chanel says, through the phone.

"I am not going shopping with you." I tell her.

"Why not? It'll be fun. We'll get to try on dresses and you know you need one 'cause Aaron told me he's attending the Spring Fling." She says, staring at me with puppy dog eyes through the screen.

"Fine. I'll go with you, but we have to be done by one. I have rehearsals with Miles." I tell her.

"Yeah, I've been meaning to ask, what's going on between the two of you. I see the way he stares at you during Chemistry." She says and I brush her off.

"Don't get ahead of yourself. We're just friends, nothing more." I tell her.

"Mhm." She hums.
"See you at Louis." She tells me before she hangs up the FaceTime call.

"Ugh." I say, groaning as I lay back in my bed.

I'm so exhausted. I need to go shopping with Chanel then I have to practice for the talent show with Miles and to top the eventful day off, I'm working tonight.

Great.

Just great.

I get out of bed and I take my clothes off. Grabbing a leopard print gown from my closet, I put it on. I pair the outfit with black clog boots and hoop earrings. Wearing my natural hair out, I open sunglasses and put it in my afro. I decide to just take the bus instead of calling an Uber. I grab my purse before I leave the house.

Thirty minutes later, I am walking up the rodeo drove trying to find the Louis Vuitton store. After all, I've only been here once. I finally see it after walking for a while. When I get in I see Chanel immediately. She is holding a brown dress to her body, staring at her reflection in the mirror.

"Hey." I say, somberly.

"You're late." She tells me, still looking at herself.

"Yeah, the first bus was full, so I had to wait for the next one." I tell her.

"Bus?" She asks, "You took the bus here?"

"Yeah." I say, shrugging.

"Oh My God. That doesn't freak you out?" She says and I shake my head. "Like at all?"

"No. And why should it, it's public transportation." I tell her.

"Yeah, for poor people." She retorts and I roll my eyes

"Then that makes me poor people." I quip.

"I'm just saying. They let anyone on the bus these days, you can catch something on there." She points out.

"Careful, Chanel. Your privilege is showing." I say, giving her a tight smile.

She stares at me in shock. It's the first time she's looked me in the eye throughout our entire conversation.

"Privilege?" She asks.

"I didn't stutter, did I?" I say, walking past her and heading for the hangers. I browse through the items on the racks and I can't find anything I like. One, because each item of clothing costs like a thousand dollars.

"No, thank you." I say, staring at the tag of a blue lace gown.

"That'll look bomb on you." I hear Chanel say behind me.

"Bitch." I say, startled. "Don't be sneaking up on me like that."

"You should buy it." She says and I roll my eyes.